Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Leo Quann and J-Bass bridge cover?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Danksalot, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    Yes, I did a search and looked through all of the threads. (Please don't yell at me) Some asked about P-Bass bridge covers, but not Jazz Bass ones.

Can you use a bridge cover on a MIA Fender Jazz Bass with a Leo Quann II bridge on it? Will the bridge cover fit in the same place as with the stock bridge?

Danksalot!

2. the Badass Bridge is too big for the fender bridge covers. it is too wide, and the cover will not fit over it. if you want to put a cover on there you are going to have to use a standard fender sized bridge.

3. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Don't any manufacters offer wider covers? Anyways, the Badass 2 is way better than the original Fender IMO, so I wouldn't take it off for just looks.

4. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have a '76 P that came with a Badass 2. I replaced it with a stock Fender bridge so I could put the bridge cover back - I really like the look. Though the Badass is a very nice piece of hardware, in all honesty I don't feel I lost anything sonically by taking it off. The bass still sounds great and sustains forever. Your mileage may vary.

BTW the cover looks excellent!

5. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Good question..I just ordered a Gotoh 201 and want to put the "F" logo bridge cover on. Will this be too big for the bridge cover as well?

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It'll probably be fine. I have a 201 and it's a great bridge that isn't much bigger than the stock bridge- maybe a smidge taller if anything. The "F" cover looks ginormous, so you should have plenty of clearance.

7. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have a 201 on my Tele bass. It is a bit taller than a stock Fender but the same width. I found that my original cover (same as the 51 P) was wide enough but not tall enough. I don't know how this actually compares to the height of a Jazz cover but I assume they're pretty close. I got around it by putting in a 1/4" diameter rubber faucet washer as a shim and using a slightly longer screw. They're an 1/8th inch thick and it was enough to clear the strings and stay out of sight under the cover lip.

My 2 cents.