Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Leon Aubert

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by sigs, Jun 19, 2003.

1. sigs

sigs

Apr 18, 2003
    Milan, OH
    I recently came across a Leon Aubert Model R-21 bass. According to the model number, it is a laminated bass. I noticed it is quite a bit heavier than my Scherl & Roth laminated. Can anyone tell me about the quality or reputation of either or both of these basses? :meh:

2. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I would also like some input here :)

Jonathan

3. I've owned an R-21 for about six months, use it as my backup and will probably keep it until I save up some pennies for an old Kay or a new Upton. My bass came with the bridge installed upside down and with cheapo strings, but with a professional setup by my favorite luthier (including new bridge with adjusters, fingerboard dressing and new Spiros) it has been a fine player. Tone wise, it can't touch my 1934 Jaeger ply, but it has a better sound than others I have played in the price range.

One word of advice: shop carefully. I've seen prices ranging from $1199 to $1999, with light bag and bow. No matter what you pay, you'll need to budget extra for a good setup.

4. By the way, these basses are made in Romania, have ebony fingerboards and tailpieces and are constructed more solidly than some of the Chinese "stuff" that has been widely panned on these pages. When I bought mine, several finish options were available.

5. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    See pics here.
    http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o105/dnkritr/

The action seems low compaired to the POS at school.... any thoughts on that?
    For now I am going leave it be. It sounds good enough for me to learn on. I like the sound of it better than the IU school of music Bass.
    Jonathan

6. Is your R-21 new or used? That would be, by far, the best price I've ever seen for a new one.