1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Leon Sylvers III

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mike Arnopol, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Goy77

Goy77

Feb 28, 2017
    Ohio
    Just joined talk bass after years of lurking. Leon Sylvers fan out here in OH! I feel this dead thread needs brought back to life. In the time since this thread was rolling has Leon been up to anything else as far as anyone knows? I would love to get in touch with him and interview him about the good old days when funk ruled the airwaves.

markjazzbassist likes this.
  2. he produced and played on N'Dambi record titled "pink elephant". great record neo soul type.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The producers of TV ONE's Unsung has interviews with him about many artists including The Sylvers.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    His family the Sylvers came along at a time when the R&B music industry was saturated with superstars
    and the ever increasing popularity of disco. I think they could have been bigger but... they did alright.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Not only was he Badd Bass Playa. He was quite the Playa I hear. :)

Goy77 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  6. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Check the Whispers "Turn me out." Shalamar "There it is." And like the FunkFather suggested "Friends" by Shalamar.

Goy77 and markjazzbassist like this.
  7. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Here I am by Dynasty. Classic Leon Sylvers III. Leon is one of my favorite Bassists. A lot of Badd Cats in R&B who gets No Credit. I grew up in that School and Funk of course. To play these Genres you're out front and can't be weak. You'll get talked about and Fired in a heartbeat. Once you get a rep though you can always find work it seems. I just announced I was going to be actively Gigging again and picked up 5 Gigs and two tracks like overnight. Now I'm back to transcribing Tunes I like and many I don't like but hey I wanted to get back in the Game. Big difference between preaching from the Living Room playing along with snippets of songs and Live Gigging. It let's you know exactly where you are as a Musician. Playing is just a small part of it. Like tonight I have to drive two hours to a Gig because I opted to buy a house in the Boonies. No music around me for 40 miles each way. Tonights trip roughly 160 miles. But I have a new Bass on deposit so I have some motivation. And lets not talk about the folks who heard about you and want to come and critique you. But got something for them too :) Unfortunately the Younger Musicians will play some Jill Scott but some Jamming Solar hits are not on the setlist. If I ran a Bass Course, Leon would be a block of instruction. He covers the bass supportive role, has nice grooves and is quite melodic in his approach. Your right hand gets quite the workout. Good thread.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  8. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    :whistle:
    The older siblings were in my father's science class when they went to Markam Jr High so of course that was a strike against them for me when they broke out of the pack as perhaps the first Jackson family clone. So my parents kept buying The Sylvers family albums even after he left and without the media we have today the production work that he did with SOLAR was mostly unknown to me. I will have to admit that I don't remember the band Dynasty

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    btmpancake likes this.
  9. btmpancake

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    I think they had a sister or two that sung with them, so long ago I cant quite remember and you're right about being a Jackson family clone.

10. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Five brothers and four sisters and one more baby brother who never performed as part of The Sylvers. One sister was raped before they left the Nickerson Gardens Housing projects with their recording success.

11. btmpancake

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Thanks for the memory help, I can just imagine what it took to do what they did coming from their background-their parents did a great job. Sorry to hear about their other sister.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Go on YouTube and check them out. I saw them live back in the Seventies and Leon Sylvers was doing it with his black and white Ric 4001.

Goy77 likes this.
  13. Goy77

Goy77

Feb 28, 2017
    Ohio
    I love the anecdotes guys. Leon's the only reason I'm even thinking of one day getting a rick 400X. His playing style and tone is just massive. I love all the Solar stuff but HERE I AM in particular just awes me. He could slap well too but never over did it, always used it as a good accent rather than the main course. Just the note selections he came up with are so unorthodox and complex. I can't think of another real funk player who used a rick? I know Rick James had one on the cover of street songs but not sure if he even played one on the album or not..

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Cordell Mosson from Parliament used Ric 4001. Michael Henderson used a 4001 on his Norman Connos' song, You Are My Starship (Henderson wrote the song, played bass, and sang lead vocals.)

btmpancake, markjazzbassist and Goy77 like this.
  15. Goy77

Goy77

Feb 28, 2017
    Ohio
    Thanks for the heads up Dr Cheese, basically in all the years I've viewed this site, the sight of your 'nard display picture told me I'm in the right thread. I see you got a Fernandes Atlas, aren't those passive Stingray clones sort of? What can you say about yours? I was eyeballing those not too long ago.

16. There is something just sexy about a Rickenbacker with flat wounds. All that treble gets muted with the flats but the attack is so punchy and defined. Almost like it's super compressed that attack sound.

Dig boogie dig Leon dig Michael. Sheeeeeeit I might have to get me a rick now

Dr. Cheese likes this.