Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Leon Wilkenson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by grinder, Apr 4, 2003.

1. grinder

grinder

Nov 11, 2002
    New York,U.S.A.
    Can anyone tell me what brand amps he used and if he played with a pick or finger-style

2. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    The Bassist from Lynyrd Skynyrd right? Misspelled his name Leon Wilkeson, don't take offence!:) He used Peavey Amps, not sure what model or nothing, he used a pick! Leon is my favorite Bassist in all of rock and roll! If you have a DVD player go pick up Free Bird The Movie/Tribute tour double disc! It has a lot of great closeups of Leon and his style! What I like about Leon, he taught himself how to play!

Take Care
    TravellinMan

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Got it and it is awesome well worth it.

Skynyrd is my all time favorite band also and travelin man summed it up beautifully!

I hear Rossington is not doung to well right now, Something about a Quadruple bypass? Anyone collaborate on that

4. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    Rossington, is doing alright, they kick off their European Tour at the end of May, and May 20th their new Cd is sceduled to come out Called "Vicious Cycle", Their Latest single is "Red, White, and Blue! And it also has a tribute to Leon on their called "Mad Hatter" and a updated version of Bullets with Kid Rock, This Cd is supossed to be back to the classic skynyrd sound, not as heavy as the last one "Edge of Forever" Go to www.lynyrdskynyrd.com, and look around on the message board over their!

Take Care
    TravellinMan

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Wasn't Ed King playing bass on Skynyrds first album? Even the credits say something about Leon left the band shortly before the album was recorded, but rejoined shortly thereafter.

On the One more from the road album though, I loved his playing. Great lines, and great tone IMHO.

He used a Fender Jazz, or Gibson Thunderbird bass through Peavey amps.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

When I played in a Skynyrd tribute band, (don't laugh - the money was insanely good and the band was big in France!), I had to study him copiously.

The "Cat in the Hat" played with a pick but I played his stuff fingerstyle.

[​IMG]

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hell no my band plays tons of Skynyrd when we do the harley bar tour and it always gets the best reaction and the dance floor is packed.
    Can't go wrong with gimme three steps or call me the breeze.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Maybe it's different up there in your neck of the woods, Funk. But down this way, some people consider it "trailer trash rock", (e.g. "Rednecks have a petition drive to make `Freebird' the national anthem").

But I really learned to respect his playing as I learned it --- he constantly threw in little changes so that you seldom repeat the very same, identical, line. Plus, his tone was pretty fine!

9. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Not bad for a old Fender Jazz or Thunderbird through PV gear, I loved his tone.. I also like that tele bass he's playing in the pic above.
    Yeah ric it must be different up here cause Skynyrd is definitly a standard on the cover scene up here, Us newenglanders are screwed up to begin with though;)

10. acesclone

acesclone

Feb 27, 2003
    ohio
    another under appreciated bassist overshadowed by great guitarists. By the way he did NOT play on the first record. he left just before and they hired Ed to play bass. he came back shortly after the recording and the guys liked Ed's playing so much they kept him as a third guitar player. The 3 guitar attack was actually an ACCIDENT!

11. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    'bout the onlyt hing I can contribute here is that Ed played parts Leon had already developed for the songs in Skynyrd's repertoire. Amazing player, too..... people can laugh at Skynyrd, but even some jazz cats I know have been impressed by Leon's feel. EVerything subtly changing, and never a note out of place, either, and always dancing between drums, piano, and three guitars...... how many guys could do that and STILL sound as good as Leon did? He really is one of my favorite players.

Ed King was actually the guitar player from Strawberry Alarm Clock, those guys who gave us Incense and Peppermints.

12. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    Ed played bass on the first albulm Pronounced, and a couple on the Second Helping Albulm and played a 6-string bass on The Last Rebel Cd! On the first albulm Ed played his own bass lines, even though the liner notes on the remastered version say that Leon wrote em'! I asked Ed on the Skynyrd board a while back here's ed's site www.edking.com check it out

Take Care
    TravellinMan

13. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Ok, that's the first I've heard of that, Tavelin'Man.... looks like I might need to do some more digging, but hmmmm, too late to ask poor Leon for his side of it.....what kinda 6-string bass? like a Bass VI or Dano, or a BEADGC thing?

14. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    I asked Ed King himself on the skynyrd board, at least that's what he posted, a Jerry Jones 6-string a bass out of Nashville I believe! What ed said was that they never recorded back then nothing was written down either! I have the Muscle Shoals Sessions w/ Leon playing "Simple Man", and then listen to Ed's version on Pronounced!

They are quite diffrent I think!

15. freshbass

freshbass

Jul 17, 2004
    vermont
    peavey amps w/ 15's mostly, fender jazz w/ a pick mostly...i'd like to know what strings..probably Rotosound swing bass?