Leon Wilkeson Fan Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A. D. Fairhurst, Nov 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. He's what made Skynyrd so good; brilliant rock player!

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. Good player by any account.

23 vote(s)
    62.2%
  3. OK bassist.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Meh.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. A bit pants, really.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Rubbish.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Absolutely sh*te! Rest in p*ss!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Leon Wilkeson=most underrated player ever to walk the Earth. Fact. Just listen to these brilliant lines!

And yes, I'm aware that Ed King played on the first album whilst Leon temporarily quit, but it was Leon who actually wrote those lines; Ed merely played them. However, he did play them very well, so props to the two of them.

Roger W and SwitchGear like this.
  2. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I've always thought that Leon was rock solid. He always had tasteful lines and a great tone, IMO.

SwitchGear likes this.
  3. Yeah. Can't go wrong with T-bird + flats.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    When my son was in high school he was in the marching band and at home games they had a stage setup for bass, guitar and drums. My son played the guitar and they played Freebird during half-time. He had a blast playing the solo and it was a real crowd pleaser.

Since I was never in a situation where I had to learn it, while he was learning the song I was fiddling with the bass line and I was impressed with how melodic it is.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    SwitchGear likes this.
  5. Great player, great band.

I've be re-visiting some of their albums recently, really just digging the tunes and the playing - so this is quite a timely thread.

There's some great stuff on YT, few where LW is playing a Jazz. Proves that they can cut right through if they can get past the wall of Skynyrd guitars!

SwitchGear likes this.
  6. Gravity127

Gravity127

Mar 18, 2020
    Love his playing. His tone on the jazz bass sounds amazing. I found some settings for his jazz bass. He is mainly using the bridge pickup. 620760E4-A1A7-42E2-8BB7-0960C2207051.jpeg

SwitchGear and chanson like this.
  7. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    What would Leon do?

He was a great player. Jazz bass into Peavey amps. Cannot deny he was tops

8. This is the tune that made me realizes that they were great players, love this tune. I used to do it in a country/southern half original rock band during the early 80's we did a good job on it and it was always one of the crowds favorite tunes.

9. I thought he used mainly T-Birds?

10. Gravity127

Gravity127

Mar 18, 2020
    He also used a early p bass seen in

Joshua likes this.
  11. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    He used a number of different basses. Here Leon is playing a j bass

12. The credits on the debut LP say that Leon composed "many" of the bass parts Ed played, not all of them. I don't know if it's known which ones Leon wrote.

13. Gravity127

Gravity127

Mar 18, 2020
    When Ed King played free bird on the album the bass sounds totally different to Leon’s live version.

14. I’ve long been a “casual” Skynyrd fan, but have recently dove deeper into the legends, lore, and the music. ‘Frustrated to find so little about Leon’s playing, his gear, his influences... Like a lot of bassists, he’s way underrated and overlooked.

15. Roger W

Roger W Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Baltimore USA
    It’s not either or; Larry Junstrom, later of 38 Special, and Greg T Walker, later of Blackfoot, preceded Leon in Skynyrd and may have composed of the bass lines for songs written before Leon was in the band.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021