Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Leon Wilkeson found dead.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MJB, Jul 27, 2001.

1. I'm not a Lynyrd fan, but I saw the band's history on the VH1 program "Behind The Music" and I found out about that tragic plane crash they had where they lost Gaines (was that his last name?) and Van Zandt. You'd think it would be enough tragedy but no.

A bassist passes away... we all feel it. RIP indeed.

Same goes for Benjamin Orr (Cars) and the guy from Loverboy (can't remember his name but died shortly after Orr); both of whom were among those who inspired me to move to the bass.

2. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    I am very sorry to hear this news. Leon was an icon to me, I loved how he could boogie on 4 strings. An all-time great. Legend even. Curious as to the details, but sad nonetheless.

3. Wow, haven't listened to LS in a while but I always loved his playing.

Do we know how or why he died?

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I liked Leon.....he had a super sense of humor and was a SOLID bass player. It's just a sad thing to hear about....:(

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

This is sad. While I don't like Lynard Skynard's music particularly, I admired Leon wilkenson and would be happy to play bass as well as he did. His lines were the RIGHT lines for the music.

I loved the way he changed his hats several times during a performance. I thought that showed good humor and he had an amazing collection of hats.

What I wonder is what happens now? LS is touring right now. They will be in Nashville soon. Do they postpone the tour or is there someone (here at TalkBass) who can step in and play Wilkenson's lines?

He was only 49. That's just way to young to die. And hasn't that band been racked with tragedy, much like the Allman Brothers! I guess bands that last that long do go through a lot of "history" while they struggle to survive.

RIP, Leon. You will be greatly missed.

On a side note, haven't we gone through a bunch of bassists recently? Bobby Sheehan, Allen Woody, Leon Wilkenson, and a few others.

6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Wow!! one of the reasons I picked up the bass was Leon.
    He will be sadly missed by all, I just caught the free HBO Special Live At Steetown and they were awesome.

7. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    While not a LS fan at all, I believe there really is a brotherhood and sisterhood of bassists that is closer than that of most other instruments, for some reason. A loss of one of our brothers is a deep loss indeed. My prayers are with you, brother....

8. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    That's very sad. I'd consider myself a fan of LS although the last time I saw them was a couple of years ago.

FWIW the bassist from Loverboy ws swept off a boat by a 25 foot wave off the coast of S.F. Too weird.

9. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    He was a great bass player with a awfull recorded tone! But man could he play! I will miss him very much!

10. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    How can anyone not like Lynard Skynard music?

They, along with groups like the Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker and Elvin Bishop, formed the backbone of Southern Rock.

It's a hybrid music with blues and country overtones. Thank God they came along and saved us from that stinking Limey Rock.

I will miss Leon Wilkenson just like I miss Berry Oakley and Tommy Caldwell. The good die young, sort of.

11. OMG!

I cut my teeth on L.S.

Back then I had no idea who played bass......now I do and am suitably depressed.

R.I.P. Leon.