Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Leonardo Japanese Telecaster Bass Copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pike66, Mar 23, 2005.

1. pike66

pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    Hey all,
    I just picked up something kinda cool at Guitar Center. I got an old, decent condition, japanese 'Leonardo' bass, for about 100 bucks. It looks to be of a Fender Tele-bass copy variety, but I can find nothing about 'Leonardo' or anything of its kind through searching online. Does anybody know anything about these basses? It's possibly from the early 70's, and is a short scale. I like it, even if it is quirky. Any info would be appreciated, thanks,
    -pike-

2. duckrock

duckrock

Aug 18, 2007
    Hi, I just bought one, a beater that needs total restoration. I was able to eek out a few notes and I LOVE the sound. Mine appears to be a black Les Paul copy. I will post photos when I can. I will watch here for more info. Any ideas on where to get cheap bass parts in SF, CA?
    peace,
    duck

3. BassShark

BassShark

Feb 16, 2007
    Metuchen, NJ
    Leonardo was a jobber (distributor) brand like Heit, Univox, Teisco Del Rey, Kingston, etc.
    I don't know who owned the name, (probably a NY/NJ based firm since you're in NY and I'm in NJ) but there was no "Leonardo" factory in Japan.
    I bought my first bass in 1974, it was a black Leonardo branded Les Paul Custom style, a lot like a Univox Les Paul copy guitar, except this was a bass. Paid $150.00 for in in 1974 dollars which is like, what, a thousand bucks in '08 dollars?
    I was too dumb to know that I could've bought a brand new Precision Bass for $225.00 at the time...or a pre CBS P-Bass for $150.00. They were just "used guitars" back then...
    Sold it a year later for $40.00 after I got my first P-Bass and never saw another one...I recently found a "Pearl" branded bass that's 100% identical other than the name. Sorta cool, in a cheesy Japanese copy way.