1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Leonardo Japanese Telecaster Bass Copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pike66, Mar 23, 2005.

1. pike66

pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    Hey all,
    I just picked up something kinda cool at Guitar Center. I got an old, decent condition, japanese 'Leonardo' bass, for about 100 bucks. It looks to be of a Fender Tele-bass copy variety, but I can find nothing about 'Leonardo' or anything of its kind through searching online. Does anybody know anything about these basses? It's possibly from the early 70's, and is a short scale. I like it, even if it is quirky. Any info would be appreciated, thanks,
    -pike-

2. duckrock

duckrock

Aug 18, 2007
    Hi, I just bought one, a beater that needs total restoration. I was able to eek out a few notes and I LOVE the sound. Mine appears to be a black Les Paul copy. I will post photos when I can. I will watch here for more info. Any ideas on where to get cheap bass parts in SF, CA?
    peace,
    duck

3. BassShark

BassShark

Feb 16, 2007
    Metuchen, NJ
    Leonardo was a jobber (distributor) brand like Heit, Univox, Teisco Del Rey, Kingston, etc.
    I don't know who owned the name, (probably a NY/NJ based firm since you're in NY and I'm in NJ) but there was no "Leonardo" factory in Japan.
    I bought my first bass in 1974, it was a black Leonardo branded Les Paul Custom style, a lot like a Univox Les Paul copy guitar, except this was a bass. Paid $150.00 for in in 1974 dollars which is like, what, a thousand bucks in '08 dollars?
    I was too dumb to know that I could've bought a brand new Precision Bass for $225.00 at the time...or a pre CBS P-Bass for $150.00. They were just "used guitars" back then...
    Sold it a year later for $40.00 after I got my first P-Bass and never saw another one...I recently found a "Pearl" branded bass that's 100% identical other than the name. Sorta cool, in a cheesy Japanese copy way.