1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Leo's trio (...sort of)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Sep 9, 2008.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I guess for now, I've come as close to having the trinity as I can get. The Squire is close enough to a Fender Jazz as I can get.

DSC_4264.

can you tell I'm a sucker for a 3 or 4 +1 headstock?
    I don't like the newer 3 + 2 G&L headstocks...they don't fo it for me. If they can keep the 4-string basses with that "fender-esque" headstock, why can't they keep the 5-er that way, too?

2. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    You're missing a P. Nice looking G&L.

3. Couldn't agree with you more about the G&L headstock, seeing what it should look like for the first time on your picture. Even looks better than the L2000's headstock.

I wanted to work on a "Leo's work" tribute as well, as I own a Fender RBV and MIJ fretless P and a Tribby L2000, but I need wider string spacing and want another fiver, which leaves the Stingray 5 out of the equation, no matter how sexy and great-sounding I find them to be. :(

Anyway, great collection! You're all set!

4. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    thanks!

for what it's worth, that Squire Jazz has a 2.08" wide neck at the nut; mucho spacing! The L2500 is 1-7/8".

5. that rhymed, yay!

6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    ...alright...

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    At one time, around '97, I had a '78 Precision bass, an '80 Stingray, and a '91 L-2000 sig. not to mention an early SVT, '86 Roadstar and a '66 Guild Starfire.

MyGear1996-01a.

Times were good!

8. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    You know there is another model that is a fender off shoot? Not sure if Leo had any actual input, but the now defunct Heartfield was a fender subsidiary.

9. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    All of the basses are backwards. :bag:

Nah, seriously nice collection. What happened to 'em?

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I played sunburst Squire Jazz Deluxe V just like yours last night and I am stoked! I already knew they sounded good, but that thing looked so nice, I know I will have to get one.:D

11. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Leo had NOTHING to do with the Heartsfeilds. That was very late CBS thing, when they contracted with Fuji to build the Japanese Fenders. The Heartsfields were supposed to be a way to have things that were very much "non-Fender" but sold by Fender.

jte

12. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA

Figured as much.

13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Nice set of basses. That said, I would say that a 4 string P bass, 4 string Stingray and an L2000 would be the Leo Trio to me.

14. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    When I picked one up in GC, within 5 seconds I said to myself, "I must have it!" and it so happened that TB'er FretlessGuy was selling this one in the Classifieds. it came over all the way from Canada.

15. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    that's why I said "...sort of"

it's as close to the real deal as I can get; and that's good enough for me.

16. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida

Short answer is I sold them all. I never liked the neck on the G&L, so it went first. The Precision was nice, but I had a chance to get a Musicman Sabre, and I had to let go if the Precision to do it. At that time P-basses were still showing up once in a while, so I figured I'd get the next one that came along. The fretless got sold for whatever reason; probably because I had a Stingray 5 fretless. The Guild got traded for a Modulus JV, which became the only thing I played for a while, so the Stingray and Sabre sat in their cases. Unfortunately, I went through a divorce a few years back and sold both Musicman basses, and I converted the Modulus to a fretless, and made another Jazz bass with a Moses neck. I wanted to have a Stingray sounding bass, so I found an old ATK, and then I got tired of using heavy basses on long gigs, so I bought a few Soundgears, which is what I was using when I originally bought the Stingray as a backup.