Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Leroy Vinnegar: Rock Star?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by VTDB, Nov 10, 2004.

1. VTDB

VTDB

Oct 19, 2004
    VeeTee
    I happened to notice the other day that Leroy Vinnegar played some bass on the Doors album "Waiting For the Sun", I checked out his discography and this seems to be the only "rock" record he ever made. Who knew?

2. You never know who you're hearing on those old records from that era. They usually didn't give them credit!
    A cats gotta eat!

3. Keyboard man Ray Manzarek of the Doors used to use bass pedals or split keyboards to play bass lines on the early albums. I guess he finally saw sense, huh?

I'm surprised Leroy wasn't credited. Jerry Scheff gets a bass credit on the L.A. Woman album. Was Waiting for the Sun before that? Maybe they hadn't got around to admit it by then.

4. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    And who could do a better job than Leroy? I couldn't imagine Jaco doing it.

Though I would have given anything to have Mingus on the session, and have him attack Jim Morrison for his "poetry"

5. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I was just reminded of Ray Brown playing slab on Quincy Jones' "Walking in Space." Ah, the late 60s........

6. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Also - did you guys know that Sonny Rollins is playing tenor on teh Rolling Stones' "Waiting on A Friend"? great solo, natch'lly