Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Les Claypool and Dead-noting

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Petary791, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I would've never figured this out if it wasn't for the "Animals Should Not Try To Act Like People" DVD.

Has anyone else noticed on "My Name is Mud" and "Lacquer Head" how he does that hardcore dead-note slapping/tapping? I think that's a really cool and ingenious technique. Anyone else use this or have pointers? Does it have an "official name?"

EDIT: Here's a decent pic I took earlier.

[​IMG]

2. I do and I find it great at times for fills. An old band I had, I actually used it as a kicking solo/fill. Easy technique IMO to learn. I find the best thing to do is mute and give er all you got. Though I will say it is fun to groove with it

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I see your name is "The Antipop," so my guess is that you're familiar with the song Lacquer Head, no?

The insane part after the first chorus, how does he do that? When I do it, I just dead note slap and move my fingers on the fretboard doing dead notes as fast as I can, it almost sounds like it...

:smug: