Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

les claypool and the frog brigade?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Cat, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    les claypool and the frog bridage are playing real close to me in a couple weeks, with phil lesh. les claypool is one of my favorite bassists, but i don't know anything about phil lesh or the frog brigade. what kind of music do they play? i was wondering if it was worth the $40 to go see them.

2. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    the frog brigade is, i believe, a les claypool-side project-thing. but even if i'm wrong, it's not like les is gonna stand in the background and hammer out e's all night long. i can't see him playing "supporting" bass for anyone. i'd take the chance and shell out the bucks. i'd even go out on a limb and tell you that if he does play e eighth notes all night long (a la ac/dc, van halen, etc) i'd send you half of the ticket price...

3. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    well who the fudge is phil lesh because i think the concert is featuring his band and frog brigade is just playing after (or before), i.e. not the main attraction. i dont wanna go if phil lesh is not my kind of music...

4. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    hmm, i can see your point on that. i have no idea who phil lesh is. i was under the impression that he was gonna be on stage with les. your guess is as good as mine...

5. I think he is jam-band (like frog-brigade) oriented, he was in the Grateful Dead I believe.

6. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    what kind of music would you call that? btw on the ticket master thing it said "phil lesh and friends" for the concert. i only knew les was playing because on his own website it says he's playing with phil lesh.

7. hey cat you don't live in canandaigua do you, because they are playing there in a couple weeks.

8. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    i live in d.c. right now but im going back to skoo in a month at psu. they are coming to philly, pittsburgh, and colombia (md) in late july.

9. Phil Lesh i believe was in the Greatful Dead (he went to my h/s).

The Fearless Flying Frog Brigade is a sideproject of Les Claypool. He's got Todd Huth (bay area, CA Primus guitar player, he quit the band to start a family, so claypool found a new guitar player), there is a Sax player (he is not the standard sax player, more of an experimental, but crazy good.), key's, another guitar player (claypool had an ad out in the bay area looking for a guitar player, this is the guy who was selected, he has a funk guitar background, also very good. ), and some drummer.

I've seen the show twice. Saw them when they were just doing bay area show's, then once again, after they had toured the country, and then came back to the bay area for a new years eve show. First time i saw them, i didnt know what to expect. The first set was music from sausage, holy mackorol, and some primus stuff. the second set was Pink Floyd "Animals" from front to back. A really great show.

Second time i saw them, there was a bay area band opening for them. They were basicly acid trip music, no singer, and the guitar player used an ebow, and a ton of effects, i realled liked their sound though. The frogs set was good once again, i dont even remember all the stuff they played. Anyways...

Claypool was the front man, he did his crazy bass stuff.

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    What I would do if I were you, is try to download some of their songs and see what you think. If you can get a hold of two or three of each band's songs, you should get an idea of what they do, how they sound and if you really want to shell out the cash to see 'em live.

11. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    Personally, I listen to the Frog Brigade but not Primus. Im just not crazy about their sound, but Frog Brigade is pretty cool, even though they still play a few Primus songs. But they change up the sound on them. Just my opinion, I like Frog Brigade mroe than Primus, for my two cents.

Of course, My Name is Mud was an entertaining song, easy and rather mundane bassline but interesting lyrics. ;)

12. I think Dave Siff went to see them last night, maybe he'll tell you what it was like. :)

13. I did, indeed.. bassmonkeee and I and a friend hit the show last night. Overall, it was pretty good.. great musicianship. The openers were Col. Bruce Hampton and the Code Talkers. (Hampton used to head up the Aquarium Rescue Unit, with Oteil on bass.) They were doin' the jam-rock thing.. the band was very tight and grooved hard, but it was the jam-rock thing.. kinda tested my patience after a while.
    The Flying Frog Brigade was a trip! Les mostly played a Carl Thompson 4-string, and switched to an NS electric upright on one tune, sawin' away with the bow! He had a CT 6-string on the side of the stage, but we left early so I don't know if he used it. They did a lot of really trippy stuff, with the bass and saxophone going through a lot of effects. They covered "Space Oddity" by David Bowie and "Taxman" by the Beatles, among others. Les was in pretty damn good form.. a lot of slapping and strumming, and some fast fingerstyle stuff. They had the obligatory wacky costumes also. It was definitely worth the price of admission.

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    More importantly, they did "Planet Clare" by the B52s, and opened with "Thela Hun Genjeet" by King Crimson....they were nothing if not eclectic.

Oh, and Les did plenty more than 8th notes.