les claypool bass distortion on my name is mud

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by beebassdude, Aug 5, 2009.

1. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    does anybody know what pedal les was using on this song? when hes doing the main riff he sometimes slaps the low B with his thumb and turns the distortion on and its an awesome sound.

anybody know what he was using back in the day?

2. Fishyfan

Fishyfan

Jul 8, 2009
    I believe that this was covered not long ago...From what I remember the conclusion had something to do with amp overdrive.

3. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
  4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    :confused::confused::confused:
    Amp overdrive? Have you heard the song or listened to a clip?

Obviously his technique and light gauge strings (they sound especially rubbery on that track) play a part, but that sounds like a very digital distortion. My guess is the Line 6 Distortion modeler being clicked quickly on an off. But pinning down exactly what settings he's using for that sound would be tough.

5. Fishyfan

Fishyfan

Jul 8, 2009
    I could not remember if it was Les or someone else who was being talked about.

6. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Fair enough, but the reason I asked if you'd heard the song is that the OP isn't talking about his tone throughout the song but the very obviously effected distortion that is occasionally kicked on and off.

You can hear is quite clearly in this video at the 8 and 11 second marks.

7. Hector_G

Hector_G

Apr 6, 2009
    El Paso, Texas
    Was Line 6 even around when that album was recorded?

8. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    My immediate thought as well.

9. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA

exactly. i really doubt it was. this song was in 1993 if my dates are right? when did line6 show up?

10. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Good point. I have no idea if the DM4 was around in, what 1993? I guess I was thinking of how the OP and Les could do it live.

Honestly I doubt it was a pedal at all as it was almost certainly added in post.

11. Pork Soda was released in '93 and I don't remember seeing a POD until '96-'97

My guess would be that any distortions Les used from that era and earlier would come courtesy of his ADA preamps, In that song they just sound like punch in overdubs not really anything tricky.

12. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Exactly, from my previous post. I concur

13. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Yeah I think the PODs came out in '96 or 7 (and everybody had one, and I didn't get it, and I still don't, but then I've never kept a SansAmp for more than a couple of weeks either), the stompbox modellers weren't out until later.

14. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    ADA MP-1 as far as i know:smug:

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I haven't listened to that song in a long time. Really enjoyed watching that video again. :)

16. Jehos

Jehos

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    The "really digital" sound may have also come from the ADAT. That was their first album recorded on digital and Les himself said it did funky things with the low end. You can hear it in the kick drum especially, it just sounds...different. By the time they did Tales from the Punchbowl, they'd gotten digital figured out better.

17. I think the most important part of his sound is definitely the Les Claypool part.

18. yeah.

You want to know something funny? Les Claypool is a big Rush fan boy...:bag:

19. I thought everyone knew that, if you've ever listened to both YYZ and John the Fisherman.

20. etherealme

etherealme Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Louisiana
    From The Cheesy Primus Homepage :

1.2 Studio Rig (Pork Soda)
    1. ADA MB-1 bass preamp
    2. Meyers EQ
    3. Alesis Micro Limiter
    4. ADA Stereo Tapped Delay
    5. Systech Harmonic Energizer
    6. Alesis ADAT recorder (4)

http://www.ram.org/music/primus/equipment/equipment.html

You're welcome ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021