les claypool bass solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by azeng808, Oct 7, 2005.

1. azeng808

Dec 12, 2004
    does any1 know the if this solo has a title? It is the solo with the harmonics in it and is played with a drummer. Also does anyone know a tab for this?
  2. seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Buy Rhinoplasty. It is primarily a covers CD but there are 2 live tracks on it as well. You are probably thinking about the live version of 'Tommy The Cat' on this cd. Get it. Listen to it. Love it.
  3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I think you're talking about "Awakening" and yes, it's included in the "Rhinoplasty" live version of "Tommy The Cat". Looked for it in www.powertabs.net but couldn't find it.
  4. Its pretty cool. I've got 3 versions somewhere on my PC, a studio version, a live version and a video of a live version. I like it.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Les didn't actually write 'the awakening' it's a song by the redding brothers, though he does improvise some bits of it in various performances.
  6. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Like others said its called The Awakening. You can hear a studio version of it on Les Claypool's album Highball with the Devil.
  7. azeng808

Dec 12, 2004
    is the fast part double thumped?
  8. Nope, Claypool doesn't use the double-thump technique (not that I know of). He can manipulate the sound pretty good with his use of mutes and triplets, but I'm 99% sure he doesn't double-thump.
  9. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah. There's a video of Les playing the Awakening on the dvd that came w/ the latest Primus cd. He appears to just utilize muting and triplets (and lots of it..).
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Thanks for mentioning that! It's a sore spot with me when cats think he wrote that!
  11. wwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaatttt?? I have that CD/DVD, but I never saw that. What part of the DVD is it in?
  12. azeng808

Dec 12, 2004
    whatdo you mean manipulate by using tripilets? Can anyone play this song in this forum? If so can you give me an accurate tab. Sheet music prefered tho
  13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Here are both versions. The original version by Dexter Redding and Les Claypool's studio version.

The Awakening

Enjoy! :cool:
  14. I can play the whole song, but I only learned some of it from tabs. The faster part was inaccurate in the tabs so I had to figure out that chunk on my own, I think I did a decent job of it. It's pretty hard at times though, the way he uses hammer ons in this song is crazy at times.
  15. azeng808

Dec 12, 2004
    thank you!!! and btw is the tab on mysong book accurate?
  16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You're welcome. I don't do the tab thing so I can't help you there! I say use your ears. Record yourself and listen to yourself. Keep plugging away until it sounds the same.