Les Claypool overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wingslax, Jul 31, 2003.

1. wingslax

Jun 18, 2003
    Hey, i was wondering if anybody knew how Les gets that insane motorcycle-type overdrive in "Jerry Was A Race Car Driver"?
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm pretty sure that back in those days, he was playing through ada mb-1 bass pre-'s and an ada mp-1 guitar pre-.
  3. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    well since were sort of on the topic. what is he using for his balls out distortion?
  4. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    not sure what he ues, but i still cant figure out how to nail his tone. i dont want it badly, but it still is hard to find an EQ that works when trying to cover their songs.

id just try any overdrive laying around, or try some, and see what comes close.
  5. there a korg effects box he uses, pluse a one of those di boxes. go to primussucks.com the link cheesey primus page as all the info ull need.
  6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I think the key to Les's tone is light gauge strings, EMG pickups and an ADA-MP1 *GUITAR* preamp. I'm still astounded at the sound he gets on JWARCD, it's absolutely unique!

7. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i really dug the tone he had on antipop. real thick, but doesnt he have both a bass preamp and a guitar pre amp?
  8. i knwo he doesnt use those preamp live any more. u can get all the effects he uses from a korg bass mutil effect pedal. i think his envlope distorion sound is a preset it barley tweeked. go to the cheesey primus page. all the info ull need.