Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Les Claypool tabs?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Selta, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ok, I despretaly need some Les Claypool tabs. My band wants to start coverin' his stuff, and I can't find tabs ANYWHERE! I've looked alllllll over and just can't find any. So if anyone out here can help, or at least point me to somewhere where I can look, thanks!
    Ray:confused:

2. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
  3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Here's what I've tried so far:
    Basstabarchive.com
    Rockmagic.net
    Tabcrawler.com
    Google
    Metacrawler
    And no results.

4. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Be more specific. Instead of just searching for Les Claypool search for Primus.

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Ahhhhh, there we go!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What songs do you guys suggest that we cover for festivals/coffee houses/bar gigs?

6. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Any Primus song worth playing will be pretty much impossible to play off bad tabs.

Some popular ones are:
    Tommy the Cat
    John the Fisherman
    Jerry was a Racecar driver
    Wynnona's big brown beaver
    Those D*** blue collered tweakers

7. Talkbass has some...search under the letter C and the name Claypool Les and the holy...

I just got the awakening a few days ago....fun to play.

8. I'll suggest a Oysterhead Claypool song. Little Faces. Fun bassline, without a doubt, and it's easy to pick up and figure out without tabs.

9. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Covering anything by Les Claypool won't be easy. If you play anywhere,people are really going to focus on YOU,not as much the guitar or drums or even vocals for that matter. They know how good he is. So I think I would really get the song down pat before playing out. Any tabs you find on the net are most likely not going to include muted notes,not be complete and just not be correct in most aspects,which is gonna complicate things greatly.

10. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i'm not too positive about the Primus tabs floating around on the 'mainstream' tablature sites out there, so i dug this site up for you. pretty comprehensive, and the tabs are more accurate. if that's your dig.

PRiMuS TaBz aWaiT

of course you're going to have to do some improvising of your own when playing any of Claypool's material - getting it all down to a fine tee is almost impossible, as some of his playing is possible only through his setup and physical aspects (ie. the fingernail scrapes/taps on the Fisherman Chronicles).

11. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Cover whatever you can play, and play well. Covering Primus, Les & Holy Mackeral, Oysterhead, Frog Brigade... whatever.. is very different than covering something that is more mainstream. Some people will know exactly what it is while most of the crowd is going to think, "Huh? What the hell is this?". Now, if you totally crush whatever song it is you choose to cover, even the people that don't recognize it will most likely think it was pretty cool... however, if you choose to play something that is well beyond you, and you eat it hard on this song... well, all the people who have no idea what the song is are going to very quickly lose interest in what you are doing.

You see.. there's a fine line between clever and stupid. :D

12. Well said. Ditto.

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Thanks for all the info! I've comes to the realization that 99.9% of the tabs out there are wrong, ALOT wrong. So, I've undertaken tryin' to listen to it again, but still not workin'. Man....I thought I was done with tabs!!! I really want to cover 2 or maybe 3 songs in a two-hour gig, just to loosen up before we play, when we come back from a short break, and just before tear down. Mu guitarists all have songs that they do, as well as the durmmer, and I just needed somthin' to do. So, I heard some Primus and was like "wow, that's what I'm doin'!" and well,. it landed me here, once again going back to tabs!!! (OH NO!!!!!!) oh well! This time I wont let it go to habbit, once again I thank all of you guys, espically for the sites! later...
    Ray

14. Lucky....my band hates Les Claypool but I want to play them just once.

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, see the like Les, but not his band so much. (well, for Primus and Sausage). So they said when I do this, it's gonna be solo (oh no!!!). So I just have to land it perfectly, and with nothing to keep time to (i.e. drummer!), I figured tabs would help, but as usual, they don't! One or two songs I have the very basics to, but his fills and such I just can't seem to get. Oh well, I have a long time 'til our next gig, so no hurry. Thanks again all.
    Ray

16. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    You are so right versatile_stile , I would like to add, anything you find on the internet is sometimes close. But usually wrong. Checkout the tabs you find, and use your ear to help figure out the missing slaps and ...well slaps mostly for the right rand work, cuz thats mostly what Les is doin'
    Great material to learn. If you are a decent slapper and have a decent ear. Work on your ear and you will have no some problem, as I would too. Les Claypool is a style of his own kinda.
    Good Luck

17. Go 'wyonna's big brown beaver'. as far as primus songs go it's pretty easy and won't take you weeks to get down. it's also one of the more popular or well known ones.'the hecker' fits the same

18. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Hey, thanks...I've been workin' on...Gorundhog Day? yeah, that's the name...to hard to hear with the msic I have of it :(. I'll get those other ones and try 'em, but we do have a long while 'til our next gig.

19. There are a couple of Primus books out there on the market.....I have 'em....:D