1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Les Claypool - What jazz bass is he using?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vosk, May 15, 2006.

1. that's his 70's jazz bass.. awesome tone.. I had a live recording of him playing tommy the cat with it and it sounded better than on the album..

2. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Just goes to show you that the trusty Jazz Bass is so versatile, you can even make it sound hideous if you want to!
    :bag:

3. man, he looks weird playing a jazz.

4. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Hahahahano.

5. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    no les claypool is just weird :p

6. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    amen man.

claypool. what a joke.

7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Claypool with a Jazz is nothing new too. He was using that in Sausage, back more than a decade ago. I've seen him use it too when he's played on other peoples projects.

8. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    So, exactly what was hideous about that sound? Not sure what effect he used (a bit of chorus and or flanger, perhaps?) but I still liked it a lot.

9. Nothing was hideous, they're jealous that they can't do that.

10. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Okay-- that would be lame comeback #39. :rolleyes:
    Actually, I was offering my opinion on his tone... I just happen to like bass tone that sounds more like an instrument and less like a weapon. More Jamerson, Jaco or Marcus Miller and less AK-47. Of course, it's all subjective, etc., etc.

11. cdb

cdb

Jan 12, 2004
    phila, pa area
    I found the tone in this video distasteful --way too much treble- metallic... and the harmonics sounded overly loud--- perhaps the compression was too heavy, but the sound in general in that video sucked....

12. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    The sound quality of the video was horrible. Claypool sounds better than that.

Clapool is a FREAK...I mean that in a good way.;)

13. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    First of all his tone is rock slap bass to the fullest, enjoy it or not it sperfect for wha he does. But yes it sone of 2 70's jazz's ive seen him play a white one with a maple board and a red one with a maple board. Les is the man, his sound is so original even when he is slappin the most commonly slapped bass!

14. I'm sorry, but that tone that les pulls out is soooo good. While you guys complain about how "harsh" it is, you have to recognize that he's creating a tone that will cut though no matter what. Coming from a guy who plays in a metal band, it's hard to be heard, let along keep any tone at all. Les is able to not only cut though a LOUD rock/metal/hillbilly fusion/whatever band, but he is able to keep the low end shaking, and able to create a sound that perfectly compliments the music he plays. That and he sends countless bassists back to the 'shed after every show he plays.

15. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    i'm pretty sure those are EMG pickups on that jazz bass too..

16. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    No i'm pretty sure their stock, you can hear how much more puer he sounds on that bass rather than his thomsons with emg's.

17. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    wouldn't it be awesome if we could all sound exactly like marcus, or better yet, all just play open E, and all exactly downbeats. we should start a petition that would mandate bass players play and sound exactly alike. that would make this world so so much better.

18. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Allow me to say that the world is a better place because musicians express themselves with infinitely different tones. I give high praise to Claypool for the obvious originality in everything he does.
    I just personally hate his tone on that video. Others love it. No problem at all.

19. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    That bass is on the cover of an old bass player, and it has EMG js.

He said something about how he likes jazzes because they are the only production bass that you can beat the crap out of and they still sound good.