Les claypool?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Shockey, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Shockey

Nov 19, 2004
    What strings does he use? I generally slap as he does. So I think whatever he would use would be a good place to start... I've used earnie balls, elixers. Both pretty good, But I think I may be searching for something else.

I own a 6 string, and 4 string. Does he use differant for each or does anyone even know?
  2. waxbass

Nov 13, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I remember reading and interveiw a few years back where he explained his string setup. He uses several different guages and I believe he even uses the "wrong" strings ( I mean he puts a certian guage G string where the D string goes)

I'll see if I can find my old BP mag that has the interview.

THe only thing I can tell you for sure is that he aint using a "set" of strings if you get my drift.

wax :hyper:
  3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    A while back on his 4's, he was using two 90 or 95 guage strings on his E and A, and 40's on his D and G strings. His 6's weren't standard BEADGC, it was EAADDG if I remember right, well at least on the fretless "Rainbow" bass. I think he does still have one 6er with standard BEADGC. As far as brand goes, he was using Carl Thompson strings a while back, but who knows what he uses nowadays.
  4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i think his strings may be the least of your worries when getting his tone. Those CT's are set up a little different than most anyway. The only place ive seen those simliiar bridges on any of hte CTs ive played were customshop anway. Why not just have darrin hook you up something cool then get the strings he plays?