Les Claypool

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by StingRay5guy, Dec 17, 2004.

1. StingRay5guy

StingRay5guy Guest

Oct 14, 2004
    I just recently discovered that Les Claypool also played double bass. Everyone knows him as an incredible bass guitarist. Has anyone ever heard any of his stuff? I've been looking around and I can't find any recordings. Let me know if anyone uncovers anything about it. Thanks.
  2. Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    I love this guy all my life, but he's kind of a hack at db. Haven't heard him lately though.
  3. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    With all due respect to Claypool, I just -cannot- see him playing double bass. :eek:
  4. Just tell him to get a teacher, he'll be fine. Him and Flea.
  5. Most of his DB work that I have heard is on Tom Waits cds....he is not as impressive as on BG.
  6. bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    I'm not sure that he actually plays DB... the closest I've seen him to doing that is playing the NS db.
  7. Yes...he does play(or at least try to play)DB.
    The only Primus song I have heard him play DB on is "Mr.Krinkle" on "Pork Soda"...as well as several Tom Waits songs...but yes,he does play EUB more recently.
  8. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yes, Les does play the REAL DB. As many have stated not very well.

He seems to be more at home on the EUB, for obvious reasons.

Last time I saw him, a year or so ago, he was playing the NS EUB and some strange one string EUB.

Ten years ago I was impressed, this time around sounded like a lot of noodling :)
  9. Johnnythekid

Johnnythekid Guest

Dec 20, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    There's also a recording on "Sailing the Seas of Cheese" by Primus where he plays a little arco, but it's nothing impressive, or even normal...it's just, bowing random notes, if memory serves me. Claypool is the man on a slab bass though. He plays one heck of a solo...
  10. Claypool_Fan

Dec 27, 2004
    Garfield, AR
    You can hear Les play DB on "Mr. Krinkle", "Over the Falls", "Seas of Cheese", "Glass Sandwich", and some others. I have to admit he is better on bass guitar than on DB.
  11. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I've heard him mainly on Tom Waits records and prefer Larry Taylor and Greg Cohen more. Les seems to play the busier lines on some songs but the sound is definitely not as hefty as the aforementioned two.
  12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I really, really like Primus (saw them in the summer, great show) -- and let me tell you, Les will be the first person to tell you that his intonation is far from spectacular. He actually says this quite blatantly in an issue of Bass Guitar (awful US mag, but Les was on the cover.)

Matt Ides -- the 1 string EUB is a "Whamola". On the last tour, during the drum solo, there was always a short Whamola jam. You change the pitch with a lever on the top of the neck (a la washtub bass) and IIRC, you can also stop the notes like on a regular DB. Instead of plucking it, though, he plays it with a drumstick. Some guys made it for him and gave it to him at 2am after a show (they waited outside his hotel room until he showed up).
  13. Les plays the DB on at least one song per Primus album (it seams...).

He's an amazing BG player... but his intonation on the DB is that of a high school student's (at least it was on "Tales from the Punchbowl" and "The Brown Album", the only two I own). Someone used the word "hack" to describe his DB abilities... perhaps that is a bit harsh (IMHO)... but perhaps not... ;)
  14. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    he uses DB on the les claypool and the holy mackerel cd also.
  15. i read an article where claypool says that an upright is only good if you are going to slide up to notes and that if he needed good intonation he might as well play a fretted.
  16. FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I know virtually nothing about Claypool but what I love about some of his BG playing is that it sounds like a gifted person came upon the bass and learned to play it with out ever having heard anyone else play one before. It's not like he is intentionally defying conventional wisdom, he just ignores it and does his own thing. Very cool!
  17. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    Which is to say it's like he invented his own languauge, or maybe just his own syntax. I get sick of hearing him say "rhumatic tuna run adjacently". I like talking to people who can say deep things in a simple way.
  18. *fenderbass*

Dec 30, 2005
    I really like the Tom Waits tracks that Les plays on.

The Earth Died Screaming
    Big in Japan
    Hoist That Rag
    Shake It
    Baby Gonna Leave Me

All great songs if you like Tom Waits (obviously I do). I think he does some stuff on the new Tom Waits set called Orphans.
  19. I still don't get the rift between DB and EUB players. It's like the difference between sport skiing and snowboarding...yeah it's different but you're still flying down a hill on a piece of wood. DB or EUB; you're still ringing out the low tones. I was trained as a child on piano and then vioin before going to a DB. Now that I'm in the NAVY, I don't have room for a DB and wouldn't let the NAVY move one if I did bring one to Japan with me. I am waiting on my new ERGO 4 (shipped yesterday) and can't wait to play it. I've been stuck playing a BG (Fender Diamond Series P Bass and my Fretless Westone JazzBass) for 2 years now. Can't wait for the change. Still love my BG's but there's something more real playing jazz/blues on an upright.
  20. casualmadness

Dec 15, 2005
    I saw Primus back in '93 and he brought a DB out on stage for a couple of songs.