Les Claypool........

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by paul_mccartney, May 9, 2001.

1. Dammit!

Why didn't you people tell me about this guy?

I'm just now discovering Primus' existence. All I have to say is:

Les Claypool kicks arse.

Except when he sings.

He can't sing.

But he is an incredible bassist.

(If you haven't heard his famous live solo, download it from Napster or Gnutella ASAP! It's amazing!)

Anyway. To my question.

What kind of bass does he play? I can't tell from the concert photos on his website. Does anyone have any clue?

Just a quick question from a (relative) beginner......
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    He play Carl Thompson basses. CT has no official site, but some of his work can be seen at www.ctbasses.com (a tribute site).
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Too late...I saw him open for Rush. It was a trippp. His singing is AWESOME! Tommy The Cat.
  4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    You have GOT to be joking! I wish I could sing like him:rolleyes:
    But to answer the bass question..he also plays Fender Jazz..
  5. not to mention an old Eko violin bass (rarley) and some electric upright..
  6. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    can't for get the Bass Banjo either. His upright is a custom Zeta and a Ned Steinberger (sp) 5 string
  7. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    i believe he also uses a pawn shop upright.
  8. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA

Man, I can't even sing and play at the same time, so I can't bitch about his voice. It's awesome though, it fits Primus perfectly (they better put out a new album or I'll be pissed). His voice adds to the creepy feel you get from songs like "Glass Sandwich" or "The Pressman" or "Restin' Bones"
  9. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Wynona's got her self a big brown beaver and she shows it off to all her friends.....
  10. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I heard they were on the verge of breaking up... I know they got Herb back. I hope they go back to the way the sounded pre-tales from the punchbowl sound. Oh man they rock!!
  11. Last time I checked you can read a list of all the basses that Les uses at www.primussucks.com through the biography link. If its not there just look around the site. Also, for those of you who don't know, you can access three Les interviews at www.bassplayer.com (go to artists). I agree totally with Paul, Les is an incredible bassist but an awful singer, that's not to say his voice doesn't sounds awesome cause it does.

12. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I think Les sings really well on Antipop...
  13. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Prove it!:DLOL
  14. Sorry Primusdude,
    I had only just got Antipop today and hadn't had much of a chance to listen to it. It turns out that he can sing.

Go Les.
  15. Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Les is the king alright! :)
  16. SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    Count me as another huge Les fan. That live Tommy the Cat on NApster blows me away...and the fact that he's also a big fan of The Residents, Shreveport bizarro band extraordinaire...
  17. I love the Rhinoplasty recording of Tommy... it's the definitive recording of the song for me.

About Primus's current status:

Brain left the band and went with freak guitar virtuoso extrordanaire Buckethead to the band Guns and Roses. According to Les.. Brain asked if it was ok and is still on good terms with Primus.

Ler has been working on electronic music lately.. and put out a cd with a band called No Forcefield. It is made up of himself and various other Primus related people.. Adam Gates perhaps being the most well known.

Les has been doing numerous sideprojects over the past year. He played one gig with Trey Anastasio of Phish and Stuart Copeland, formerly of The Police, as the band Oysterhead. After that he formed The Fearless Flying Frog Brigade.. (it's members include Jay Lane and Todd Huth.. who were early members of Primus and also part of Sausage.. an earlier Claypool side project) which has toured quite a bit.. released a live cd.. and will be releasing another live cd in the future.

As of right now.. Les is recording an album with Oysterhead. He will tour again with the Frog Brigade this summer, and at some point an Oysterhead tour will take place.

Herb has worked on quite a few projects since leaving Primus. It has been announced that he will rejoin Primus, and he, Les, and Ler will record a new album when the time is right for all of them. According to what I've read, Les and Ler just need a break from Primus, but have every intention of reforming the band with Herb. There is no time frame on this however.. could be next year.. could be 3 years from now.

More info can be found here:

as well as an interview conducted by a regular at the Primus message board here:

18. slippy_6_finger

slippy_6_finger Guest

May 10, 2001
    Herrin IL USA
    Dude his ^ string fretless kicks ass, I don't know what brand it is but it is like a dark brown and damn it's big.
  19. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Poor buckethead, i saw in mtv news that he suffers from hemorragies and GNR had to stop their european tour.

Get well man!
  20. spiggle

May 12, 2001
    USA, Jackson TN
    anyone who plays bass no matter how much they hate weird ass primus music admits dude can play he pimps the Carl THompson basses with some old fenders too he the man