Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Les Claypool!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fretless5, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Just got back from seeing Les Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade...
    o my. This was my first in person Les show. I realize he is not everyone's cup of tea, but what a wonderful show and selection of tunes. Anybody who opens with "Thela Hun Ginjeet" by King Crimson.... well they're okay with me.

Anyway, a fine band with lots of talent who are obviously having fun playing together. They tossed in a couple of Primus tunes, and a few other interesting covers (including Rush and Bowie).

And, I was the oldest person there (BIG friggin' sigh).

2. I love them, I got the CD and I listen to it all the time. Well not all the time but a good bit. Les is crazy, i have all his discs. but yea man i would love to have been there but i am not much of a partier. was it pretty much a drugfest or what? I would imagine so cause they're in the whole jamband genre and that is sadly what most of the shows are like nowadays. oh well. You didnt see them at the Gathering of the Vibes festival in New York, did you? I had some friends that went up there.

Later
    Nate M

3. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    hey, i went to the show last night in st.louis. it was awesome. did les pull out that big stick that had a trem. and one string on it? i have no clue what the heck it is, but it was awesome. he did a 45min. encore that started out with them doing some primus songs with the guitarist playing banjo and les on the washboard. anyways, that was prob. the coolest show i've ever been to. i love les. anyways, later, ryan

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Another big Claypool admirer here. You're right fretless, he's not everyone's cup of tea. But then most people don't appreciate Dom Perignon champagne and they drink stuff with plastic stoppers instead of corks, too. ;)

Gotta admire his originality and virtuosity, (no songs about, "Johnny loves Suzy" or I'm a Badass with a Backwards Ball Cap Wearing My Bass on Top of My Feet").

ryan - I played in St. Lou in January and Col. Claypool was booked at the same place our band played two nights later. Was it The Pageant on Delmar?

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got a busy couple of bass show weeks ahead of me. Flying Frog Brigade next Wednesday, King Crimson the following Wednesday, G3 the night after that, and Marcus Miller on August 5th. Whoo Hoo! I'm broke!

6. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If I didn't have to study I probably would have seen you at the show Fretless5. Man why did I have to have two tests this week :( You would have been able to pick me out pretty easy. The black guy standing next to the mosh pit and not moving an inch. Man I really would have liked to go to that show.

7. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    rickbass: the show was at mississippi nights. it was pretty packed. later, ryan

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ah, the Landing. Many late nights down there. I guess Miss. Nights is still "it" on the riverfront, huh?

9. Im goin to see them the 30th in MD. On their webpage it looks like their last show date, so im hoping that they do an awesome show.

10. BigJH , ya missed a good one.
    King Crimson will be at Bogart's July 23rd (I'll be at that one too).

ryan , my seat was in the 2nd balcony about 1/2 mile from the stage (us old people have to sit- no moshing), is this what he was using? See attachment?

And yes, there were lots of drugs.

11. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've never heard of King Crimson. I might check them out though. I will be there on August 15 to check out the Roots.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Damnit where do you live? i'm moving there.:D Seriously. I'm jealous.

13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Anyone know which KC lineup this tour features?
    I'm guessing Fripp and...

14. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    rickbass1:well, miss. nights is a pretty awesome place, but so is the creepy crawl and blueberry hill. i am just happy that people stop here to play and don't pass us up.

fretless5: that doesn't really look like what he was playing. it was more like a 2*4 with a string on it and a tremello type thing at the very top. crazy lookin'. he was beating it with a stick. i don't think it was a bow, but i don't know. anyways, it was an awesome creation.

later, ryan

15. Les and his other band are going to be playing a club downtown!!!!!! If it's an all ages show i'll go! it's on july 30th! if you have seen them tell me what there like!

16. Not at all as active as Primus it's like jazz, not Metal. Cool live sound with lots of improvising.

17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, it isn't like jazz at all. It's Jam Band music. More Phish, and Grateful Dead, but better than both, IMO. When I saw them last week, they opened with an old King Crimson tune. Of course, the easiest thing to do would be to go to www.lesclaypool.com, and download some of the sound files so you can hear them for yourself. :D

18. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  19. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Les scared the crap out of me in the video for mr krinkle or whatever that song is called where he plays a double bass in a pig suit.

20. Oh sorry, I thought this was a thread about the French Air Force ;oP