Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Les Claypool...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fat jonny, Jul 14, 2000.

1. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I think les claypool is awesome I was just wondering what some of you folks think of him? I have the seas of cheese and antipop albums, are the other albums worth buying in your opinion?

2. Agreed. Les Claypool is awesome! But if you don't have Frizzle Fry, that should definitely be your next album. Aside from any of his Primus albums, here are a couple others you should also check out. The Les Claypool and the Holy Mackeral album. It's called Highball with the Devil. Not only does he play the bass on this album, but he also plays the drums and guitar on a few. Another one is Sausage. That's the name of the band, I can't remember the name of the title.
    Anyway all his albums are worth checking out, but be advised that the Brown Album is pretty weak. Happy trails. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by funkysurfer (edited July 14, 2000).]

4. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    Ok i will check those out thanks!

5. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Les Claypool is god!!! He is truelly amazing. I love his solo on Tommy Cat.

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Yeah, i just got the frizzle fry album and it´s the best...also get the videoplasty if you want to get your jaw dropped.

also BUCKETHEAD, oh mannnn he´s the coolest robot ever!!!

BUCKETHEAD
    BUCKETHEAD
    BUCKETHEAD

7. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Get this, last month at the allgood festival,
    Les came out with his band "claypools rat brigade". It was Claypool, Bob Wier of the Grateful Dead, and some of Bob's band members. KILLER, Les Claypool in a jam band!
    Some of the best playing I have heared from Les. The Sausage album is called "Riddles are
    Abound Tonight".

8. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I just bought the rhinoplasty cd today and it's awesome. The cover of the thing that should not be is pretty cool, I think the intro sounds better on bass than on guitar.

9. The Les Claypool and the Holy Mackeral album. It's called Highball with the Devil

Yep, very good album, specially track 9 (I think, the just bass & drums track)

Only thing is, doesn't it make you feel a bit funny in the head? Primus just does that to me, I cant listen to it for too long.

10. JLeeFJ

JLeeFJ

Apr 5, 2000
    The album done by his Sausage band is eponymous. I don't have it, but I'm entertaining the notion of buying it. The "Antipop" album is really the most "poppy" and radio-friendly album Primus has, but it's still awesome. The "Pork Soda" album is pretty cool, and has some neat tapping stuff on it.

------------------
    "We told you before, but you didn't hear us then. So, you still question why! You didn't listen again!" -Rush

11. Vortex

Vortex

Jul 20, 2000
    he is definitely one of the best bassists that ever lived

12. yeah, Les Claypool kicks some ass. Frizzle Fry and the Brown album are my 2 favorites. Probably because most of the stuff they do on Videoplasty is from these 2 albums and from Sailing the Seas of Cheese. Videoplasty rocks. If you want to learn more about Les's technique (and hear some cool live jams) get it.

13. You guys should hear him and primus back OZZY
    on the new Black Sabbath Tribute CD "nATIVITY IN bLACK II"

They play a cover of "NIB" Les as well as the rest of Primus really RIP!!!

14. awesome bassist, he's got everything and more. I got a bass solo live by him off napster and it is breathtaking. Also i heard that he uses the top string of a guitar as his 'g'. is it true?
    I love antipop, especially balad of bodacious and electric uncle sam. my fave song to play is tommy the cat though, still having trouble with the solo but i'll get there soon.

------------------
    I think i love flea.... And mick foley

15. Scottzo

Scottzo

Jan 20, 2000
    Les can hang with anyone

16. Nicholas knowles

Nicholas knowles

Aug 18, 2000
    Les Claypool is not only a great bassist but he is damn funny! even the melodies he plays sound funny (like the solo for tommy the cat).

i too have the videoplasty video and he plays tommy the cat 1000x faster then usual... its breathtaking.

i also like him because he makes the guitar player sit in the backround (when usualy its the bassist that keeps to himself)

17. Stingisanoldman

Stingisanoldman

Aug 21, 2000
    Anybody ever hear of "Oysterhead"? Les Claypool, Stewart Copeland and Trey Anastosio. An interesting trio. In any case, I'd advise all you slappers and pluckers out there to try playing "Eleven" off of Seas of Cheese and "Golden Boy" off of the Brown album. A few interesting parts there.

18. alistair

alistair Guest

Aug 29, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia
    Les Claypool uses a 'd' string tuned to 'e' then a 'd' tuned to 'a' then a 'g' tuned to 'd' then a 'g'.

?

19. DownCaster

DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    Claypool= God. he is my favorite bass player. i still cant believe some of the things he can do on bass!