1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Les claypool.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by curbowkid, Aug 21, 2012.

1. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Ve come to the conclusion that he is the ultimate in telling people off who throw stuff at him on stage. Look for the YouTube vids.

"the small penised individual has showed its ugly head yet again"

2. I remember seeing Primus with Helmet in 95(i think) Les threatened to stop playing altogether if one more object hit the stage. At another show years later he called someone out saying "I don't come down to McDonalds and throw **** at you. Why are you throwing **** at me?" I couldn't help but think he was coming off as kind of bitchy but he has a good point. Random objects flying around at a concert may not be uncommon but it doesn't mean it's not completely thoughtless and inconsiderate.

3. Steve9842008

Steve9842008

Jul 20, 2008
    He really has every right to be angry about people throwing stuff at him. People don't throw stuff at Ler/Jay (or Tim/Brain) anywhere near as much as Les gets it.

I mean, he's gotten clocked in the head with a beer bottle, been spit on, had full bottles of water with no cap on thrown at him; it's pretty ridiculous.

The biggest **** up was back in 2009 when someone threw a full (opened) beer can at him and it spilled all over his pedalboard.

4. So why so much disrespect?

5. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    I had to try at a translation...

6. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    Good question, Stewie26. I have wondered the same thing.

I definitely don't blame him at all. He is the frontman that also just so happens to be playing some very unique and technical basslines on some VERY expensive gear. I would get Ticked as well!

7. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    That one about McDonald's is on YouTube

8. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    Saw the same tour around the same time in West Palm Beach same thing happened and they stopped the show early and walked off. Don't blame them but one idiot ruined the show for a few thousand.

9. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I really don't know why people find it fun to throw things at les

10. I suppose people do it for the 'banter'. Look at The Mighty Boosh, the comedy series (I highly recommend it). In their live shoes, they stop the show to respond.
    "Shut up, or I shall come at you like a herd of flying [censored]s."
    "And you shall receive him like a herd of flying [censored]s."

I guess people rile up Claypool for the reaction.
    Hell, maybe they think it is a joke, or something which he doesn't mind?
    Either way, it is uncalled for.

11. Steve9842008

Steve9842008

Jul 20, 2008
    People obsess over the guy and want some sort of response from him. He used to call people out a lot, but doesn't do it as much anymore.

Not too mention the people that do throw things are usually the ones in the pit thrashing around just for the sake of hurting others. Usually they're smashed or tweaking, from what I've seen.

Primus is my favorite band and Les is pretty much the reason why I picked up a bass, but I can't stand the "meat-head" mentality portion of the crowd they usually draw. It's been dying down though, from what I've noticed.

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I've seen him three times (once with primus, twice on solo jaunts) and he's never done anything like that. Maybe Colorado crowds understand not to be giant douches.

13. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I have to admit. His remarks are absolutely hilarious. And I know the mighty boosh. Do you love me? I'm a scaley man fish.

14. Have you ever drank Bailey's from a shoe?
    Want to go to a club where people wee on each other?
    The Future Sailors Tour is the best for the set, content and the comebacks.

15. turbotime

turbotime

Apr 30, 2011
    I cannot stand to see this behavior at shows.. has happened at a few Claypool shows I've been to. If it occurs close to me, I approach said individual and firmly inform them that it is in their best interest to refrain from such infantile behavior- lest they wish to be departing from the show sooner rather then later- and not by their own means.

Seriously, Claypool is one of my bass/music idols, a man who I respect to great lengths and I won't stand to let some punk ruin the show. If you see B/S behavior like this happening nearby and don't say/do anything you are pretty much as weak/pathetic as the offender in my book.

16. Never been the idiot who throws stuff at performers. I would hope that you are a 7 foot tall ninja if trying to be the regulator in the pit though. Drunken a$$holes can be dangerous, especially in numbers. I saw a guy get punched square in the throat once, and have seen big tough guys swarmed on by kids half their size. Leave security to the event staff and don't leave on a stretcher. Things may be different at a primus/claypool show. I will never know.

17. Yeah, good call. Get the sh*t kicked out of you by some meth-heads when that guys buddies jump in, and wake up in the hospital. Leaving your girlfriend/wife to fend for herself. :rollno:

18. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    If I ever saw someone throw something at any performer, especially of les's caliber, id crack them in the jaw and make sure the people playing saw it.

19. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    When I saw Primus in June it was in a theater with no food or drinks allowed. The crowd was very vocal about how much Primus sucked however ;) As for Claypool banter he pointed out the wide age group that was at the show( a lot of kids!) and said something along the lines of "this young gentleman up front appears to be quite bored. He's probably wondering when we are gonna play the song from South Park. Well, here it is." Then they busted into Wynona's Big Brown Beaver.

20. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    Maybe they're Colin Hodgkinson fans. And maybe it'll stop if Les ever mans up and gives credit where credit's due. Just a little acknowledgement, Les. Is that asking too much?