Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Les Claypool

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Les jr, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Les jr

Les jr

Dec 11, 2000
    I don't care if people think his style is noodlely. Les Claypool is a idle for the ages. He made me realize their is more to instruments than guitars. Les Claypool is the man, he will be remembered as a icon, and a innovator.....

2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Agreed, but lets not talk like the mans dead. OK?

3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Yeah, Les is really cool

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Idle, not really. Idol, perhaps. I'm just glad Les got rid of the fretless; he sounds better now than he did with his erstwhile seasick intonation. Seas of Cheese, indeed!

5. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    yah man i love claypool.. he plays a lot of simple stuff that sounds extremely hard and good, but plays a lot of extremely hard stuff that sounds hard and good, too, and is so creative... Evan

6. Les is a damn talented bassist, voice wise not good but bass damn good, very creative lines, and various styles. He is one of my all-time favs next to steve harris.

7. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    the cool thing about les is he was like, hey, i want to be lead and be a bass player. he innovates bass as a lead instument. He nay not have the skills of victor wooten or have intonation, but what makes him a great bass player is that he is a motivator.

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    well, Claypool sounds dificult...but it´s not!!
    and that´s the beauty... if you get some of the books with transcription (and tabs ;)) most of his stuff isn´t as hard, and makes you look cool in front of your crowd because they go like "whoa, that dude is like...genius" and you just smile and tell them "oh yeah, took me years of practice and bla bla bla"

Bottom line> Primus sucks/claypool sucks/i suck

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the greatest thing about claypool, imo, is that even though he has quite a few chops, he isn't afraid to color outside of the lines sometimes. this gives what he does a great deal of musicality and honesty too, imo.

alot of jazz guys get good, really good, and then lose the ability, or the inclination, to be sloppy and loose. that's not to say that one should always be sloppy, or should pursue sloppiness as some kind of goal, but rather the imperfections in someone's playing, like les, for example, give it character, whereas many near-perfect jazz guys tend to lack a great deal of character in their playing, imo.

10. Brook

Brook

Sep 24, 2000
    Thats a good observation John, sometimes it sounds better to play a line that just feels good rather than using theory all the time.

11. To me character and flow are more important than precise, as-fast-as-you-can-play riffs. Give me a good loose slappy groove. o yeah.

12. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Claypool's stuff isn't all that difficult, at least in comparison to guys like Jaco. But, also compared to guys like Michael Anthony....

Anyway, I just downloaded Primus' version of "The Devil Went Down To Georgia". Very interesting song.

13. I really like Seas of Cheese, but I think Antipop is an excellent album all-around...and more developed than Cheese. His playing on Antipop is superb....

"I'M BLINDED BY THE SUNN!"
    bum bidididi bum bidididi bum bidididi bum

Whoa! Pink Floyd flashback :D

14. Excellent point about the imperfections in a persons playing. It's those imperfections that make musical legends who they are. Hendrix being the best example I can think of right now....IMO obviously...!

I, personally, place much more emphasis on the vibe in my playing than my technical accuracy. I'll play too hard sometimes to get that twang-thud-buzz noise because its sounds gritty and energetic.

Les Claypool is great, but I fail to understand how anyone can play such nasty twisted music ALL the time. I mean doesnt he ever want to play some thing 'nice'?

[Edited by arther daily on 01-03-2001 at 07:19 AM]

15. Wow! I'm AWESOME at playing with imperfections!! One more step to be just like Les!!

No really I know what you meant. :oops:

16. And I know what you mean about sick, twisted music. Have you ever heard "Bob" from Pork Soda? Twisted! :) Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahaha hahahaha

17. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I still love the fretless (?) intro to "Sail on" on Sail the Sees of Cheese...

He did some wonderful stuff, but listening to the albums is a drag, usually. Songwriting really sucks from time to time, nice riffs though.

18. :eek:

Blasphemer!