1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Les Claypools Fretted 6-string "measurements" for those who are interested.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bench, May 27, 2019.

1. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    Total fetish-nerd-thread with no real relevance to the real world but anyway:

I´m fascinated by this bass. There´s very little info on it. Especially the measurements and what kind of strings Les uses on it.

If you go to Carl Thompsons Website you can get a couple of pictures. One where it´s only the standing bass. Taking measurements from this photo and assuming it stands upright i tried to calculate the neck dimensions and string spacing. And i used the EMGs for reference to determine the scale length at 34".

If this is true, the neck measures 48mm at the nut, 59mm at the 12th fret and 63mm at the 24th fret. String spacing (56mm from low to high b string) at the bridge is significantly less than 12mm from string center to string center. Even assuming a 36" scale it would remain below 12mm (58mm from b to b...).

So probably not a bass for everyone

SlappyTap, Slaymus and Aaronbeh like this.
  2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021