Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Les Claypools fretted 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Does this not look like it is tuned EADGBE, I think that it is the same thing as the Music Man Silhouette Bass Guitar. What do you guys think? Go to the Carl thompson website ( www.ctbasses.com ) and go to "Les Claypool" the scroll down to "six string fretted" that is written in yellow and there are some pictures.

Embellisher, If I am right about this then You can slap on them because he does all the time.

Nate

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i have one of my 7 string basses tuned e-a-d-g-c-e-a, and i slap on it all the time. tuning has nothing to do with it.

the deal with the sillouette that i think embellisher is talking about is that it has a string spacing like a guitar, and it would make it very hard to slap - the string to string spacing at the bridge is probably less than 1/2 an inch, which is very tight to do any kind of slapping on.

a lot of the baritone guitars are set up that way. that's not what les is playing - regardless of tuning, his is probably set up more like a bass.

3. That is what our disuccion was about, not about tuning, but about the string spacing and from the looks of one of those pictures and I also think I read it somewhere, he slaps on all his basses including the six string fretted. The only thing that I think I would need to do with a silhouette is to work on my accuracy when slapping. The string spacing on the silhouette and les's bass look about the same.

Nate

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    oh yeah...lester slaps his six string fretted...listen to shake hands with beef and kalamazoo...of course, several other tunes were recorded with that, but you can watch him play those on videoplasty...and it is strung with a low b. it just happens to have like a 36" scale.

5. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Tehe...

Anyway, I think it's just standard BEADGC tuning, but I'm not sure.

6. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    It's tuned regular... but has really light gauge strings... I think the B is 100 or something. It is a standard 34" scale... the strings are really floppy ... that is what gives it that strange banging on the fretts sound.

7. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Its tuned like a normal sixer, but he uses an E string as his B or something. I read that on the four stringers he uses two A's and two G's so when he plays chords or double stops it sounds better, so Im guessing he does the same on the sixers.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I give major props to anyone who can slap well on a Silhouette. The spacing is much more like a guitar than a bass, it is made to be played with a pick.

9. I agree... IMHO is basicly the Musicman version of the Fender VI, which is basicly a baritone guitar, but just lower. By no means are these things intended to be played as a 6 string bass. I highly recomend that you try one of these things out before you buy it.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I think he slaps it on "Tommy The Cat", too.

11. Hamburger Train too off Pork Soda, if I'm not mistaken.

PS It's standard tuning.

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you folks know that you're talking about two different things here, right?

the silhouette is about a 30" scale length, and very very tight spacing at the bridge, like a guitar.

none of les claypools basses are anything like that.

13. *nerd voice on*
    actully he used to, and is having one made. his first Thompson was a picclo which was 30" or 32" scale, but he broke the headstock off, adn converted it to 34" or 35". And technicly, he is having a piccilo bass made right now.

*nerd voice off*

Nate- do not buy the musicman, it is a baritone guitar. not a 6 string bass. You want a 6 string, buy a six string, and string it however you please, but you'll be very disapointed if you buy the musicman. if you're so set on one, you're better off getting a dano baritone, less money, same disapointment, and they actually they are pretty decent.

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    *older more experience nerd voice on*

however, that was a 4 string, with regular bass spacing, string to string. stanley clarke also used to play such a bass. since the string to string spacing was more like a bass, as opposed to a guitar, it was, in fact, NOT like the silhoutte, which has string spacing at the bridge more comparable to a guitar. a piccolo ;) bass still has the string spacing of a bass at the bridge, not of a guitar.

*older more experienced nerd voice off*

;)

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    tommy the cat was played on a fender jazz 4 stringer and hamburger train was played on his "rainbow" fretless 6 string...listen close--you can hear the slides.

16. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    On the video he plays "Tommy the Cat" with the rainbow bass. He can not use a 4 string for that song.

17. the tommy the cat from the album "suck on this" was played on the fender, but the one on pork soda was played on his 6 string fretted.

18. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Tommy the Cat isnt on Pork Soda. It was on Sailing the Seas of Cheese, and he used the Rainbow bass (6 string fretless) on it.

Youre right about the Suck on This version.

19. The point I was trying to get across is, les claypools fretted six string bass looks as if it's string spacing is very close to that of the silhouette. I think it does, If i am right them it is possible for someone to slap on a bass with that thin of a neck.

nate

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there's a simple way to answer this. go to GC - they have the silhoutte there, and go try to slap on it.

i'm telling you, the spacing is nothing at all like any of les's basses.