Les Claypool's Fuzz???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    I've been listenin to some serious primus lately, and I was wondering, what kinda fuzz does he use? I know part of the crazy fuzz "out breaks" have to do with harmonics and pulling on his recessed tremelo, but what does he use? Perfect example: john the fisherman.
  2. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I'm not that familiar with specific Primus songs so I don't know how old that one is, but I know that for quite a while he was using an ADA MB-1 bass preamp and a modified ADA MP-2 guitar preamp, pretty much nothing else, no additional effects.

These are digitally controlled analog preamps; i.e., the signal path is all analog, but you have 128 presets accessible via MIDI.

I've got a MB-1, and it's really a nice preamp. Very flexible, good distortion from the tube side of the preamp, and it allows you to mix in as little or as much as you like with a clean signal. About the only distortion I've found that sounds good on the low notes of my 5 string. The factory presets are generally useless, so if you ever try one out you'll need to tweak it yourself. There's a lot of good sound in these things, but they don't give it up immediately.

ADA's been out of business for a while now; their factory burned down and they never re-built. You can still find their stuff on e-bay from time to time, and there is some support out there........

try www.adadepot.com
  3. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    any ideas on a single fuzz unit thats similar to the Les man's?
  4. big muff pi sounds similiar... can be had for cheap too...
  5. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    I saw a ton of them on eaby, and there not that badly priced, they have alot of them for 52$. Whats the big deal with these pedals though, they don't seem all that special, anyone actually use one, or maybe have some sound clips?
  6. big muffs? lots of people use/used em'
    Cliff burton and smashing pumkins are two that come to mind immediately, and me of course.
  7. That fuzz is his ADA preamp I am fairly sure, the guitar model to be exact. Sounded a little thin too me on the first couple o' albums but that's just me. Try a few tube OD pedals w/actual AX7's in 'em. A lot of 6-stringers seem to like that "fizzier" preamp bottle fuzz as opposed to the "heavier" power tube-style fuzz. The Sansamp stuff offers you both the option of both with it's "presence" (preamp drive) or "drive" (power tube drive.) Doesn't he use a Sansamp live..........??
  8. yeah he uses a sansamp live... but his distortion sound now is much different than back in the early primus days, its not nearly as fuzzy and thin...