Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Les Claypools super mute? lolz...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Obsolex, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    you know that mute he gets incertain songs, how does he do that?

2. He puts his hand on the string and that mutes them. How did you think he did it?

3. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    it sounds different on the primus cd's and solo's and stuff though...

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    This should be in Technique. lolz.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    What is that lolz thing about? Why the z?

And do you usually laugh at the end of every sentence you say, Obsolex?

6. Somebodys a bit moody today...

*cough*moley*cough*

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wait a minute... what makes his mute superer than mine? Oh, so all of a sudden your saying Les is better than me? Right? Oh, well that's fine... that's just ****ing great. You know what, you can cook your own damn supper tonight because I'm going home to mother!!!!!!!!

9. joel

joel Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Ontario
    maybe it s because he s playing on a fretless???

10. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    He doesn't really do any thing special with it. The only reason it sounds good is because he just has some rythm with it, so it sounds cool.

11. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    what like on the song laquer head yeah? where it just clicks away, thats called left hand slap, using your fretting hand to bash against the fretboard while your slapping at the same time

S-LHS-S-LHS-S-LHS-S-LHS-S-LHS

just do it slow and built it up, till you get really fast, if your having problems with slapping speed you can get the same effect by using the popping hand

12. Sometimes I notice on his piccilo bass that it will sound a little different with his percussive muting. This could be a key factor. But there are many intracacies in Claypools technique, its best not to boter yourself with them...Things are going to sound different when he's playing on a totaly different rig than you, with a one of a kind bass.