Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Les is adding some 'booty' to his rig..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Checkout this photo from the latest primus show in Berkeley. Les only used 2 4x10s on the last tour, but checkout his 4 new 15's underneath :eek:

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    tax return? ;)

3. Daymn! That's overkill. Geez louise.

thump clickety thumbpbbbbst.

I like Les, don't get me wrong. That size a rig just seems unnecessary

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Nice! .... moving to amps though :)

5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Overkill you say...? I saw on the news last week a scene from a show here in Denver (Styx I believe :rolleyes: ;) ) and they had 14 810s on stage with 7 SVT heads. Dummies Im sure but it looked silly. Now thats overkill!!!

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, and Les can even play it properly.... :rolleyes: :p
    I would not call this overkill. If you have roadies and techs, then it should not be a problem, too...

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Listening to his new additions right now on the 5/29 boot from Irving... :D

8. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, I don't think that's overkill for a large outdoor venue. They are touring primarily outdoor venues this time around and it seems about right. Plus, it's not often that the bass player is lead :bassist:

9. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I got that as well, the sound is AWESOME at that show.. They did a full version of Rush's 'YYZ' and les did a Frank Zappa cover when Ler's amp died haha.. :bassist:

10. OK, your definition and mine of overkill are different, but really, :rolleyes: ???

I've seen plenty of groups in large venues and the bigger outdoor sheds, and many many many get by on one lowly SVT stack.

That's all I'm saying, especially in re: to his proximity to said amps...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)
    to each his own. I like my hearing, and vertigo sucked.

11. They probably weren't even plugged in!! He was going thru a Pod to in-ear monitors and out to the stage monitor/house system. That's what ALL the pros are doing nowadays.

/only slightly sarcastic.

12. I think it's also part of the show. A lot of his fans are players and they are going to take notice of what he uses. The more he uses the more advertisement they get yadayadayada.......Does he need all this. Well, he definately plays well enough to use it all and he doesn't have to move it around, he has people for that. He's the star of the show, I say go for it. If I could play and move like him, I'd have a wall of stuff too. (why does a dog lick himself?)

13. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, flea uses a huge stage rig on tour and you can hardly hear him :eyebrow: Just clack, clack, clickity clack. I think the size of your rig has a lot to do w/ how many mids you have dialed in. If you're scooped like flea, you need a huge rig to cut hehe..

14. After being front row for Primus in Asheville, NC, in a small arena, I can say with certainty that that is NOT the case. The overall sound was THE absolute best at any rock show I've ever been to, and his stage rig was audible apart from the PA and monitors/sidefills. I'm not a big fan of the amps in his setup, but Les made them sound killer. DI/in-ear bass tone is for schlock pop-country, not music.

15. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, I agree. I felt the same way when I was right up front in Norfolk. He runs those ampeg svt-3 pro's at like volume 8 haha.. It's kinda sad that they still aren't overpowering at that level ;) But there have been many discussions about the underpowering of svt-3s on here, so I guess it's necessary to crank em.

16. He's running four SVT IV Pro's now, two for backup, one for the two 2x15's, the other for the two 4x10's. They were set around "6" with the one pushing the 2x15's being a little louder than the 4x10's. His tone was BETTER than on most of their albums. His pedalboard crapped out in between songs halfway through the second set and it took awhile for them to get it going again.

17. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Outta curiousity, is he paid to endorse ampeg? Or is that his gear of choice?

18. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    His rig sounded very, very nice when I saw them. Wasn't too happy about the show, but that rig isn't too much in the least. Especially the way they have the volumes set. And I was right in front. Sounded great. But remember Les used to ONLY play with 15's- 2 Mesa 2x15 Diesels for the longest time. Only when they did the "Antipop" tour did he add some different gear. 2 400+'s and 2 2x15 Diesels. I like that rig. :)

19. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah, whatever he was using in Asheville sounded great. I didn't try to get close enough to see his exact rig, cause I didn't feel like fighting the mosh pit.

20. I didnt know Les Paul played bass.

:D What kind of cabs are those?