1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Les Nemes of Haircut 100

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by zuma, Dec 29, 2011.

1. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    How could you possibly ignore songs like Boy Meets Girl and Love Plus One as a budding bassist who grew up in the 80s? I can remember playing the vinyl of Pelican West over and over quite vividly. Looks like Les may be doing a website if he gets enough interest. Here is a teaser:
    Leslie Nemes - Bass - YouTube

Quick fact: His last name seems to be pronounced "Nay-mish." I butchered that one many a time!

My buddy actually forwarded this to me with the title "I think he indirectly talks about you in this video." Well, I think he very well may be as Les and I have conversed over my video of Love Plus One a while back. I couldn't be more thrilled about it!!! :hyper:

Let's show him some love!

2. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I didn't. :)
    Pelican West is one of my fav New Wave albums, thanks for the link, good stuff!

3. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Fantastic Day!

KO

4. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
  5. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    I do love those tracks and if you're going to go there how about this one:
    Classix Nouveaux - Guilty - YouTube

And let's get back on topic with these from Les...
    Such a happy calming sound with lots of energy:
    HAIRCUT 100 LEMON FIREBRIGADE - YouTube
    I think Andy Rourke was listening to Les too:
    Haircut 100 - Milk Film - YouTube

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wow...early MTV was great for "breaking out" bands like this. In other words, no early MTV & maybe no one gets to hear bands like Haircut 100, Missing Persons, Madness, The Producers, Living Colour, etc.

I still have the LP of Pelican West. I bought it when I was pretty much a Jazz/Funk Nazi, too.
    Anyway, just loved "Love Plus One"...cool sound that I later learned was some form of Pop-Ska.
    Haircut 100's drummer Blair Cunningham really impressed me...later, I saw him with McCartney's excellent band on SNL doing a killer version of "Hey Jude".

7. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    We need to find this version of Hey Jude...off to YouTube.

8. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Big Pelican West fan here

9. agreed - great album !

10. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    One of my favorite bands of the 80's. If Nick Heyward didn't go off and do his solo stuff we may have had more then one album. Love Plus One had a great bass riff.

11. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    You know, their second album (without Nick) is still pretty good and definitely has some great Les in it. It's pretty hard to find unless you're good with torrents. ;+)

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    For some reason, I cannot find that video on youtube (& several other memorable SNL band things).
    I bought this SNL set afew years back-
    Amazon.com: Saturday Night Live - 25 Years of Music: Don Pardo, Lenny Pickett, Darrell Hammond, Seth Meyers, G.E. Smith, Tim Meadows, Fred Armisen, Kevin Nealon, Kenan Thompson, Horatio Sanz, Will Forte, Phil Hartman, Christopher Guest, Mike de Seve,

McCartney & band are on Disc_4.
    Other highlights on this set includeJ;
    Jewel (yes, awesome version of "Who Will Save Your Soul" with Joshua Redmon on sax)
    Alanis Morrisette...w/ a 4-piece band. Chas Chandler on bass?
    En Vogue...kickin' ass
    Sting...Tracy Wormworth kickin' ass. I reently tried to fond this video on youtube, too...no luck.
    Blind Melon
    Paul Simon with Bakihti Kumalo
    Madonna doing "Fever"...with Weather Report's rhythm section (Omar Hakim & Victor Bailey)

I have seen this set go on-sale for really cheap.

13. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    New wave has become my favorite genre of music because practically every bassline is fantastic. Haircut 100 is awesome, but a tip of the iceberg!

14. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    There are two SNL things I'd love to find. Linda Ronstadt was doing a (Disney?) song, and GE just stepped in and did a GORGEOUS reverbed soaked lead....and then, it was just GE and T-Bone, I think, with GE doing a vocal! The only lines I remeber were...I wish I may, I wish I might, be within your arms tonight.....or something like that...I need to do you tube search I think....back to the original topic!

15. SpectorDetector

SpectorDetector Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Les is the best, I can't believe the lines he played on Pelican West, it's kind of mind blowing! What the hell was in the water in England in the 1980's? So many FANTASTIC players in that time and place.

16. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Agreed! All my favorites seem to be from that era as well!

17. SpectorDetector

SpectorDetector Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Zuma,

Clear out you PM inbox, tried to send you a message today and couldn't!

18. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Send it to zuma at zumaz . c o m good sir! I need to renew my membership! I have too many PMs I'd like to keep. :)

19. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Les has his own website where he gives some pretty good bass lessons. He's also on FB and I think he friends all his fans. Really nice guy. I've chatted with Les a couple times. Think he lives in Spain now.