Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Les Paul Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stealthco4545, Apr 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I really like the body of the les paul and I was wondering if it had a good sound. There's no music stores that carry it so I can't find it and try it

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    IMHO Les Paul should stick to making guitars.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Check your sources, C-Eye. ;)

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Are we talking Gibson, or Epiphone Les Pauls? I prefer the Gibsons, but the Epis are excellent for th price.
    I actually have an 80's Electra Les Paul...and it comes mighty close in quality to a Gibson.
    On thing about them is....they tend to bit neck heavy...AND heavy overall.
    I love the tone of those humbuckers though!...:D

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Cool! Has it cracked at the headstock yet? :p ;)

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I played one of these about a year ago. I wasn't overly impressed with it. It played fairly decent, but I wasn't too crazy about the tone (or lack thereof). But then what sounds crappy to me might sound great to you, or vice versa.

Ryan

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    On what do you base this opinion? How many Les Pauls have you played? Basses and/or guitars?
    Please let's limit our "opinions"...to personal experience with the bass in question.

8. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    I kinda doubt Les Paul has made many guitars in the past few decades. Gibson, on the other hand...

(sorry, couldn't resist)

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Gibson Les Paul basses look really bitchen.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, I think that Les has only built 2 or 3 in his whole life.;)

My experience with Gibson and Epiphone Les Pauls is that they are pretty(esp sunburst on flame or solid black) but the tone lacks clarity, they are heavy, and they have a tendency to neck dive.

But check them out. You might like them more than me.

11. First off,I have never played a Les Paul(either Gibson or Epiphone)but think they are way bitchin` in the looks dept.! That said.....I hear the Gibson`s are nice but the Epis lack much of the original quality of the Gibson`s.Best bet for you is to check them out in person if you can(I know it is easier said than done!).

Just my humble opinion.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They sure look good.

13. My first bass was an Epiphone Les Paul special. I think it's a really good bass for the price. I don't like the EMG Select pickups very much, but overall it has a decent sound and plays good. I would recommend it for someone looking for a cheap bass. My friend had a Gibson Les Paul bass. It was sort of strange; I never saw the model anywhere else. It was a solid color (pukeish yellow), no binding, and Thunderbird pups. It sounds good when he plays it, but I've never plugged it in myself. I've played some of the old Gibson Les Pauls and I like the sound of them. Ther has been a lot of models and a lot of variation.

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Both, I play a little guitar on the side. The Les Paul Guitars are great. However, I think their basses are kind of muddy.

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Never played a "Les Paul" shaped bass...

But I really, really liked a Gibson SG style bass I played once in American Guitars in Hollywood. It was really sweet. The only reason I didn't get it was that it had a crack in the neck that scared me. They told me it was just in the finish... But I couldn't get over it.

16. yeah, I was considering an SG type bass or Les Paul. Oh well, i'll see if there is ANY place around here that has one.

17. noise

noise Guest

Oct 23, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I, too, am smitten with the Les Paul and SG style bodies. But I would never buy from Gibson (ethical reasons). What's the quality like for Epiphones? I keep my eye out for custom builders who've already worked in that shape, but I have only seen the Alembic Signature Standard. Of course, if I could *afford* to buy a custom bass... then I suppose its just a matter of convincing someone to try it.

Of course, I'm going pretty much just on looks. I haven't had a chance to try out one. The last time I went into a guitar shop, it was a hole-in-the-wall in Alameda (CA), I only had 15 minutes, and all the Les Paul / SGs were lefties. Doh!

Anyone know of a good bass dealer (not Guitar Center) in the SF Bay Area?

--noise

18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Crawling Eye, in case you didn't notice yet, Les Paul ("Les Paul Guitars") isn't a brand. Hope that helps. ;)

19. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm aware, It's a divison. I never said it was a brand. I said "Les paul should stick to guitars". Assuming everyone knew what I was talking about. Apparently you're the only one to make a serious statment about that. Hmmm... maybe you should check the original post before you try and flame me. ;)

20. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    CrawlingEye:

The semantics of the sentence "IMHO Les Paul should stick to making guitars." is very clear. By that statement you're saying that Les Paul is a company/person who makes guitars. So, a simple conclusion is that you don't know what you're talking about. Or was it just a very unfortunate phrasing?
    Angus apparently has checked the original post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.