les paul bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emielow, Feb 7, 2005.

1. emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    what do you think of a les paul bass?

i'm planning to build a warmoth bass, and i really like the les paul body, but i have tried a few les paul basses and they do not play fine, and the sound is not pretty good...

what about a
    les paul bass body
    jazz bass neck (with classic gibson headstock)
    2 x SD basslines MM humbuckers
    aguilar obp-3 pre amp?

does it sounds the same if you switch the body to a jazz bass body?

and if anybody has pictures of his (warmoth!!!) les paul bass, pleaase post them here!!
  2. emielow

Jan 18, 2004
  3. I can't answer many of your questions- maybe none, really- but I don't think you can really compare a Warmoth 'Les Paul' w/a genuine Gibson. I'm not saying one is neccesarily better than the other, just that they are not that similiar(bolt-on vs set-neck, etc). Another thing to consider is whether you're talking about a 70's-era 30" scale Les Paul or one of the (relatively) newer ones from the 90's. I once had an old one- sounded & played good, weighed a ton.
  4. Sounds like a good idea. The Les Paul look can be really nice on a bass, when done right. The thing is, with Warmoth you can make your Les Paul bass sound like anything. The wood selection and pickups (just brand and model in your case, since you probably want the double humbuckers right?) can make it sound really bright and growly or dark and warm.
  5. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    I had a Epiphone LP bass [maple body bolt on male neck] for a year or so. And I have played a few gibsons, old and new.

Yes they LOOK nice, but, LP basses [especially if you add a warmoth neck] are one of the most neck heavy bastards I have ever played.
  6. Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    I havent had any experiance with a LP-style bass from Warmoth, but I did play a Gibson LP bass a couple of years back. Sounded deep and punchy, but i hated the ergonomics of the thing... neck dive and all. I get the same problem with LP guitars. Have to admit that they look really good tho, and Warmoth makes some nice stuff.