1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

les paul bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by banks, Aug 21, 2012.

1. banks

banks

Jul 18, 2006
    has anyone played a less paul bass. any comments on them wil be appeciated. iam lookng to buy one in the future. I'd most likely have to order it, so that is why i am asking.. thanks

2. travhop42

travhop42

Dec 21, 2010
    Texas
    I have an Epiphone Les Paul Special, great bass, built like a sledgehammer, very good finish, cool deep strong sound, quiet pick ups when not playing. I really like the solid feel of this bass but be warned they are heavy. Neck is a little chunky. Stays in tune. I have never played the Gibson version but if they are that much better than the Epiphone you wont go wrong on build quality. I have played this bass in many club situations and it has never let me down.

my thoughts

3. davidjrmy

davidjrmy

Aug 15, 2012
    Mason City, IL
    I've got a Epiphone Les Paul Standard 5 string. I love it. I agree it is a heavy thing tho. Sounds great and plays well.

4. ajax1

ajax1 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Hi Banks,

I’ve got a 2006 Les Paul Standard Cherry Sunburst Bass. 2006 was the last year the LP Standard version was made. It has a Warwick bridge and weighs about 10.5 lbs. The current version Gibby is making, the LP Standard Oversized Bass, uses their Tune o Matic bridge. I think everything else is the same as the version I have.

Mine plays great and I have never had any neck dive problems with it. I think is has a fast neck and with the right set up it is a dream to play. Some people don’t like the thickness of the body but that has never bothered me. You can get good tone out of it using the bridge selector switch and the two bridge tone & volume knobs. The pups are the Thunderbird ceramic pups and are very hot for passive pups.

I don’t play it as often as I do my other 4 string but I do like it. If you are thinking of buying a Gibby LP bass my suggestion is to buy one used from the TB site. They come up for sale from time to time.

5. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    I had a 92' Les Paul. It was my second bass and I still miss it. That is the only bass I regret selling.

6. banks

banks

Jul 18, 2006
    Thanks for the input appreciate it

7. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    if you're looking for a Gibson, the ones from the early-mid 90s can be had for a reasonable price if you're patient. they sound great!

94lpb-1-1.

8. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I love mine, I have a chambered body LP Standard. Its a keeper. The carved top ones do tend to be heavier, flat tops ones not as much. Also the carved tops tend to feel awkward at first and need a pro setup to play well, after that they play great.

Great cutting ballsey tone.

kimapaul.

9. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Just don't drop it on it's headstock (that pitch angle puts a lot of tension on that spot albeit not as much as a LP guitar (17 degrees on gibson guitars 10 on basses I believe) as that is the most delicate spot.

All necks need usually need periodic setups especially during the first couple of years.
    Stick to that and it won't fail you.

10. mr powers

mr powers

May 22, 2012
    I have a 1995 that I just bought for 960.00 and so far I really like it.

It plays well and sounds good unplugged.

Plugged in is a different story. I can't figure out the knob system. There are 4 knobs, one is volume and the other 3 half 'half way points' that I can feel when I turn them.

Can anyone tell me which knobs do what?

Crazy huh? I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

11. I picked a Gibson les Paul up in October, so far I love it. It has a very chunky, growly tone to it, very loud pickups, and I've never had a bass with as little neck dive. I find it doesn't way much, the chambered body probably helps a lot. The neck, while fat, is still very easy to play. I've never played an epiphone les Paul, but I currently own an epiphone Flying V and I used to own an epi thunderbird, and loved both, so I can't see the epi les Paul being a bad bass.

12. Flabass

Flabass

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    Had a Les Paul Recording Bass back in the 70's. Weighed a ton and I never really got used to it. Wish I had it only for the re-sale value.

13. Border

Border

Dec 31, 2010
    Spokane, Wa.
    I have thought about a Les Paul bass and see some nice looking ones in the catalogs Sweetwater sends. I have not had the opportunity to play one, but an earlier post mentioned a five string Epi model, which is intriguing. Has Gibson ever released a five string model under their own name?

14. I have an Ibanez ARTB100 which is my favorite change of pace bass. Very well made, sounds good, and short-scale for nice balance.

15. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland

I bought my son a '94 with the same electronics. the preamp was malfunctioning so we took it out and wired it passive. I don't remember the layout but the controls are volume, blend control, bass boost/cut and treble boost/cut. you'll have to play with them to see which is which.

16. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    yes, Gibson made some 5 string LPs in the early 90s. they show up now & then on ebay.

17. Border

Border

Dec 31, 2010
    Spokane, Wa.
    Thanks Aquateen, I will keep my open for one, or perhaps a fiver Thunderbird, I understand they made those for a short while as well. I appreciate the information.

18. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    The slab bodied 5 stringer LPs come up pretty frequently on eBay, which are usually black. The carved top 5 stringer Gibson's are pretty rare, specially the flame top ones. They also do not have chambered bodies so they are heavy basses, and typically sell for around $1500 last I have seen. The slab bodied ones go for less and are lighter.

All Gibson 5 String basses have narrow string spacing.

19. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    Les Paul "$ Money" bass. Can be had for between $650.00 up to $900.00 or so I guess if you can find one.. They do come up on E-Bay now and then. I cant say enough good about them. :) Heres a pic of one in a natural finish next to an SG "reissue" to give you a bit of a scale.

Attached Files:

20. mr powers

mr powers

May 22, 2012
    OK Thanks. I'll 'play with it' and see what happens.