Les Paul Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iriegnome, Dec 12, 2007.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Ok. I want one, but I will be modifying it. What I would like is your opinions on the Epiphone Les Paul and the Gibson Les Paul basses. Feel, fit, playability, quality and anything else you can think of. None of my local (within 50 miles) music stores carries either one for me to play.
    Thanks for the help

2. Mr Venus

Mr Venus Guest

Aug 23, 2005
    I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard Bass in cherryburst, made in 2000. The quality of build and finish is excellent, though from what I hear and read Gibson quality in general might have gone downhill a little since then - though I have no first-hand knowledge one way or another.

Playability - great - it has a reasonably chunky neck, and I'm able to get the action quite low without buzz. It take a little while to get accustomed to the way it hangs on a strap if you are more used to say a Fender, and is quite heavy, but generally it feels very comfortable.

The tone is terrific - dark, thick, great bottom end, and with my Orange AD200 all-valve amp it can deliver a good range of tone, from deep, round and warm to biting, crunching, natural harmonic distortion. Individual tone and volume pots for each p/u and the p/u selector probably make it pretty flexible, but being a simple soul I always turn all pots all the way up, use both p/us and adjust the EQ on the amp.

I'm a Fender player first and foremost, and also have a Rick 4001 and a Thunderbird, so the LPSB gets played less often than it should - but it's a great alternative to these and a very fine, underrated bass.

Incidentally, why would you want to modify a bass you haven't even played yet?

3. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    +1 on why mod a Gibson.
    An Epi, maybe yes.

If you REALLY want mods-on-a-budget but still a decent platform and can handle shortscale(read: FAST neck, easy player), you may want to wait for Rondo( http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html )to get one of these:
    BriceLPFXd.jpg
    LPbass3face.jpg

for cheap.
    Set neck and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Epi's come from the same place in Korea.

A place where LOT's of other folks can give you comments and have probably modded LP's, post your question in this forum: http://thedudepit.com/index.php?board=20.0

4. SKATE RAT

SKATE RAT Guest

Aug 22, 2007
    BROOKLYN
    i love mine 1992 LPB-1
    GIBSONLPB-11992.jpg

5. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Great basses for those that have them. I agree with everything above-

Epi's are a different animal, not mahoagany.

Gibsons are better. Flat Tops are much lighter than carved tops. Carved tops are heavy basses. Carved tops are no longer made and were Gibson's highest quality basses. you can pick up a flat top Gibson from about $600-$900. All LP's hold their value so if you decide it's not for you, you can flip it pretty quick and get your money back. Carved tops are hard to find for under used $1200. Say what you want about Gibson basses, but you will not loose money on a used Gibson bass, unless you pay crazy money.

Most people prefer the modern Pauls with TB pups not the Bart ones. People who have the Bart preamp usually remove it.

kimapaul.gif

birdseye.gif

6. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
  7. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    the brice is only 30" scale according to the ad but they do look sweet. I like the neck pickup position.
    I bought my son a '94 LP that is killer! we took out the active preamp and wired it passive. sounds great! it's one of my faves.

lp3.jpg

8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN

Dog, I love that Vintage Sunburst! Beautiful. That's the color I always wanted if I got a Gibson Les Paul. Years ago, I picked up a used one for the amazing price of $500.00. It was Heritage Cherry (solid color). Great sounding bass. That's one I still kick myself for selling.

9. Rockit

Rockit Guest

I have a black Epi Les Paul Std that I got for 300 bucks and I love it. People knock Epi's because they are cheap but I have the LP Bass and a T-Bird and they sound and play great, you just can't beat them for the price. They are well built, gig and studio worthy instruments and considering some of the places I play I'd less upset if anything happened to them than my more expensive basses.

I run them through my SVT-CL or my Sansamp RBI/QSC/BBE 482i rack and they sound huge, I actually like the sound of my Epi's more than any of the Gibson basses I've played.
    l_006b9f56fc72fc2c53b6d69471b318ce.png

10. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Thanks. It felt unnatural at first with the carved top & slightly chunky neck, but after I had it set up, it plays like butter and has the most amazing warm biting rock tone I have ever heard from any bass. It feels comfy now. You can get a lot of great tones from it. The funny thing is that not many people mention is the same build qualities that make the guitars great make the bass great- a warm biting singing tone that is amazing to me. The wood combination & set neck make a great sounding bass in my opinion.

The more I play it the more I love it. Also the quality on it is stunning, the book matched maple top features several Bird's eyes that look great under the super nitro finish. The Warwick bridge is infinitely adjustable.

A great bass, I don't care what the bashers say. I love mine.

11. punkbassistfc

punkbassistfc Guest

May 25, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    lol, you want to modify something you have never played ha ha, save your money champ.

12. I have an Epiphone special. Makes a nice tone. Solid Mahogny body with a solid Mahogany set neck with a Rosewood fret board.

Has a nice fill to the neck. Nice and chunky. I find this great as i have big hands. Came with a low action from the factory. Either that or the shop had set it up.

I like mine gets a thumbs up :bassist:

[​IMG]

13. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Plain and simple. Ebony/rosewood fretboards suck and I want a fretless. Not to difficult to understand.

14. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Non fosters drinking alcoholic.
    If you're going straight for the mod, the esp ec basses might be worth looking at. - They're closer to a les paul guitar body shape than the bass one and have carved flame tops.