Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Les Paul Basses???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzcatb17, Mar 5, 2003.

1. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    Curious about these Gibson Basses, never heard them, played them, or even seen one in person. anyone know anything about them?

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    The only Gibson basses I have ever heard are the ones from the 70's like the Ripper and the G-3. Those sounded good, though I have not heard much about the new ones. From what I have heard the are not real big favorites, but not terrible.

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Well, I have heard good and bad things about the Thunderbird. Some people swear by it, love the sound and the feel, while others think the neck is not wide enough, and the sound is too muddy. Personal preference I guess.

4. KAC

KAC

Oct 9, 2002
    I had two old Les Paul Professional Basses. They were exactly the same with Low Impedance pickups (Used a mic cord). They were mahogany, in color anyways. Excellent neck. Very cool looking. But they sounded way to wumpy and soft. No edge at all. (Perhaps one of the newer Epiphones with good regular pickups would work.) They were EXTREMELY bottom heavy though. They weighed just a tad more than my Jazz, but I need a huge padded strap to get through the night without severe shoulder injury.

Alas, they (like so many other basses that I should have kept) are long gone.
    :bawl:

Here is the guitar version (if I can make the link work:
    http://www.guitarpedalarchive.com/g...t/'69 Gibson Les Paul Professional 892459.htm

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Any particular era or version of the Les Paul bass you're talking about? There are many different versions. I've had one of every type ever made but my reaction to them all is fairly diverse.

I think my favorite one was this '93 LP Standard.

[​IMG]

6. I tried a Gibson Les Paul bass (just like the one that Dude posted), a long time ago, and I remember really liking the sound (very deep and warm), although it was ridiculously heavy. But in that case, big weight = big tone.

7. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    i have played a used thunderbird and a used les paul. i did like the les paul better, but i dont think it will ever be able to substitute any of my fenders. both of them to me sound very, very muddy. some people go after that tone, its just not mine. and both basses were very heavy. i was told that the only way to get a non-muddy tone from them were to change the strings pretty often. so prepare to pay for strings out the wazoo. the strings on the les paul were relative new, i still thought it was muddy though.

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Earlier one's like above were heavy for sure but Gibson began making them with chambered bodies around 1995 (could be wrong on the year) which lightened them up quite a bit.

9. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    thanks for all the help, really im looking for a bass with a kinda vintage vibe, a british invasion flair you know.

10. Does the chambered body change the sound a lot? (More resonant, less sustain?)

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    It makes then seem "airier" if that's a word. A lot lighter but less thump. The really big downside is that they have the same necks on them with a lighter body...these things are neck divers to begin with but the newer ones are terrible in that regard.

I have no problem playing an 11.5 lb bass. I prefer the solid mahogany ones myself.

12. Hmmm. If you want a vintage vibe, then maybe the EB-0 or EB-3 would fit better. They use the SG body style, which I kinda liked more than the Les Paul body. Still considered muddy. Think Jack Bruce of Cream. That's the sound.