Les Paul Signature Bass Details

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, May 9, 2002.

1. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    As requested by Nate. From Tony Bacon and Paul Day's book, "The Gibson Les Paul Book:"

In production 1974-1979

Gibson Shipping Totals:

1973 - 3
    1974 - 428
    1975 - 26
    1976 - 44
    1977 - 45
    1978 - 23
    1979 - 58

Note: "Earliest examples with one round-end, plastic-cover, low-impedance humbucker pickup and two side-mounted jack sockets." All later versions have a jack on the top for low-impedance output and a jack on the side of body for normal high-impedance output, along with a built-in impedance transformer.

Another interesting thing about this bass is that it's a 34.5" scale.
  2. Thanks Boogiebass,
    Wow, I didn't think they were in production for that long! They were really cranking them out in 74, I wonder what happened after that. Mine is a 74, it is in awesome shape, and even has the metal bridge cover thingy! How many of you guys have one with of them with a little metal bridge cover thingy? Most people removed them right away, and Jack didn't even put one on the Epiphone. I got one on mine... heheheeeeeh. :p

I am going go to gloat now... :D
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, I have the bridge cover for mine, also. Glad you found the info. interesting.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My guess is it was simple economics: they probably didn't sell so they cut back production. Most of the ones I've seen are '74. The goldtop sure looks nice after all these years when it gets that greenish tint, huh?
  5. Hmm, can't say I know. My goldtop is still in pretty good shape. I have noticed some hairline cracks in the goldtop which run paralell with the woodgrain, still that is underneath the lacquer and you can't tell unless you get some real light on it. No green here though! I did end up buying a Jack Cassday bass case for it though. The one it came in wasn't an original, and it probably weighed two tons (and was off balance too). Other than that, I am sitting in fine shape. I am tempted to post a pic.
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    By all means, post pics. I'll do the same. And speaking of all-original, mine has the original Gibson case in near mint condition. Checkmate!

PS: The green I was talking about is subtle. If you look at a new instrument, the gold is bright, the older Gibby's start to take on a darker hue with the slightest hint of green.
  7. If you add up all those production figures, they only total 627; these are rare puppies indeed! I think the big drop between 1974 an 1975 is that Gibson probably produced a bunch of them assuming that they'd sell, and when this didn't happen they cut production way back. One thing no one can fault Gibson for is workmanship. I think theirs is one of the highest in the industry, however I just do not understand why so many of their basses flopped. I mean, wasn't there one person in the Gibson organization that thought that if you don't market a product properly, it ain't gonna sell. I'm no marketing genius, but, one common complaint I've come across about the Jackbass is that a lot more people would consider buying them if they could only find a store where they could try one.

Excuse my rambling. Anyway, I wonder how many of those original 627 are still out there in one piece?

Good info, Boogie.
    Mike J.
  8. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    ...and the nicely figured back:
  10. Checkmate Indeed!! Well dang guys, I just moved back into my parents house after completing my junior year at college. Well their internet connection sucks here!! They have AOL, and I believe the clog is in the phone line, cus I can't connect faster than 26kbs. Its aweful. I will get some pics posted in a week or two, but I think it may be a bit before I get settled and uploaded and all.

Boogie, that bass is good lookin man. It does have a nice "rear end". The wood on the headstock looks great. Cool pics. Thanks for posting.

Mike, your right about the Jack bass not being around enough. If they got them out in more music stores, I think they would really be selling much more. I have no clue why the Gibson wasn't succsessful. I knew I wanted that bass for three years before I bought it (infact, I knew I wanted it before the Jack bass hit the market). I did some research during my senior year in high school about what I wanted and I learned that it was one of the only hollowbody long scale basses out there with this kind of styling. I looked at the Gretsch, but I wasn't keen on their long scale model, and I didn't want their shortscale model. The Rivoli didn't quite cut the cheese either. I knew the Les Paul was the one for me, but I had a hell of a time finding it (three years later).

As far as Gibsons success or failure with it, I personally believe that it was poor timing in the market. I think that "hollow" was kind of out in the 70's. To be honest, I think they would have sold more of them in the eighties. I think the up and coming "retro music crowd" (like me) would have bought more of them. I mean the guy from the Cure is playing a Jackbass now for crying out loud! Gibson had a great instrument its a shame it was made for such a short time. I just hope I can find a Jackbass here in a year or two.

Talk to you guys later,

p.s. It may be a bit, but I'll get those pics up eventually.