1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

les paul size pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Timmah, May 19, 2011.

1. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    Hey everybody,
    Because i'm brilliant, i routed out the bass i built for guitar size humbuckers, and inserted EMG select humbuckers, which, quite frankly, stink. Im looking for new pickups that fit these cavities. I have also heard that guitar pups work just as well, if anybody knows anything, it would be great if you'd tell me, because i have found nada.

2. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    I would say don't limit yourself to pickups that fit the cavities on your bass. If you built the bass from scratch you might as well be able to re-route the pickup cavities.
    And no, guitar pickups don't work well for bass.

3. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    Rio Grande Pit Bulls sound great, kinda like a really hot p pup.
    Couple more options are Bill Lawrence LB50 (?) which are bass versions of the LX500, hot. Then there's the (in)famous Dimarzio X2N, or X2NB bass version (I've used both, absolutely no difference IMO), that sound pretty good for 8/12 stringers. Very aggressive.

T

4. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    a guitar pickup with a blade instead of pole pieces would work.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Excuse the shameless plug, but I also make several styles of bass pickups in guitar humbucker size, in both plastic and metal covers. :D

6. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    Hey Smg, where can I check out these pickups?

7. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    Oh, wait. Dumb question. Disregard that post.