Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Les Paul through a Marshall

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Humabass, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    I know there is a huge mega-thread about distortion BUT I just want to know what distortion pedal will make my bass sound like a Les Paul through an overdriven Marshall. Obviously my question is somewhat tongue-in-cheek but I want a distortion pedal that will give me that sound when I play in the upper registers or when I play my tenor bass.

Thanks

2. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    my guess is, unless theres some sort of digital solution, youll have to biamp, with the higher frequencies going to a marshall.

i think thats what the bassist from king's x does

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I used to split my signal between my GK and a dirty Marshall. Sounded great.

4. Humabass

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    NO NO NO I want that sound in a pedal. Anybody tried anything that comes close?

5. The best pedal that I've found for authentic overdrive without a bevy of compression try the Barber Direct Drive.

Granted, as with most overdrive/distortion pedals it seems to suck a bunch of bottom end away- but it's a great pedal for a realistic overdrive (think a Plexi cranked to around 8) without compressing your sound to mush.

http://www.barberelectronics.com/

You can send an email directly to the guy who designs the pedals and ask him if he's got anything like what you're looking for.

6. what about marshall effect pedals?
    anyone have comments on them?

7. Humabass

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the tip, GB. Looks interesting!

8. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Marshall guvnor?