Les Paul

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by charles21o7, Jul 2, 2004.

1. In my guitar playing days, i was quite fond of The Gibson Firebird and Les Paul. Now that ive found the light and become a bass player (10 years now) , I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Les Paul bass. I ve never seen anyone playing one, but I still have a love for the Les Paul, so please tell me what you can about it , thank you. By the way, the bass equivalent of the Firebird-the Thunderbird is only half way as impressive.
  2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    The thunderbird is a bass with a huge neck dive watch any live SOAD video to see oddajian with the thunderbird allways paralel to the flor, the LP its not far from the T-IV about neck dive. Both the LP and the T-IV have ery similar sound and you cant get many tones out those basses just a deeper tone with less volume in the bridge pickup and a treebly tone with less volume on neck pickup but in the end its the same tone.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The solidbody Les Paul basses that I have played were all heavy, very neck heavy, and had very uninspiring tones. But check them out. They may appeal more to you than they do to me.
  4. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    A friend of mines brother owned one. Like embellisher said it was heavy, had two output jacks. He said it was good for recording. I played it once or twice, sounded ok. Overall I like the tones of other basses though. I have a Les Paul Studio that sounds great, though I can only play guitar a little.
  5. RunEvilSquirrel

Jul 2, 2004
    I owned a Epiphone Les Paul 5 string for two or three years. It had a very nice flame maple top. Set neck, passive. It was ok, the controls didnt change a whole lot, unless it was on 0 or 10. VERY VERY heavy. Solid mahogany, woderful tone. Not to neck heavy, but most of the gigs i play, i sit down. I havent seen another like it, one popped on ebay not to long ago, but it was way overpriced at like $500. Now that i think about it, i really liked it and didnt like having to sell it one bit. :mad:
  6. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    I played a Gibson LP special [no maple top, passive TB pickups] bass some years back, killer slap tone.
  7. I had a Les Paul 5 string for a couple years. Like other posts have commented, deep tone, with a good growl. But heavy and very very unbalanced, neck dive big time. Use a good wide strap...

Also (a picky little point) the battery was almost an afterthought, with a little clip attempting to hold it--inside the electronics cavity. To change the battery I had to unscrew the 4 tiny screws that secured the the compartment cover, pry the cover open (not always easy), and avoid breaking any wires while replacing the battery. Not the most user-friendly arrangement.

Otherwise, though, it was a fairly good instrument.
  8. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Around 1975 my main bass for many years (during my jazz/fusion era) was a used 1972 Gibson Les Paul Fretted bass with low impedance pick ups. The new ones today are not even a poor cousin to these original models.

Photo borrowed from Dan Lenard
  9. Which model of LP are you considering?
    Les Paul Triumphs like Whappo's have a deep, clear, solid sound and a good amount of usable tonal variation due to the complex electronics. They sound kind of like Alembics, but not as pumped-up, especially in the high end.
    The modern LPs come in three flavors--Special, Deluxe and Standard, or LPB-1, -2 and -3 under a later naming system. Except the earliest models (1991?) all had active Bartolini electronics. The Special and Standard had different versions of the TB-plus pickups while the Deluxe had Bartolini 'buckers.
    As was noted above, the Special, which is/was the most basic model, sounds like an Thunderbird, which isn't surprising as they had the same pickups and are made entirely out of mahogany.
    The Deluxe, which came with a maple top, sounded much more modern with its' modern electronics.
    The Standard, which was the deluxe model with a bound, maple-topped body, fancy fingerboard inlays and chrome-topped TB-plus humbuckers, was a big, heavy, rude-sounding sonofabitch. For some reason, the bass and treble controls were actually low- and high-mid boost/cut controls, which contributed to this grinding growl.
    There's a new-old-stock Standard for sale on eBay right now; starting bid is about $1500. I was in love with an identical bass some years back, but it didn't sound right when I played it. I was in the store when the first owner initially tried it out; he got a wonderful sound out of that bass.