Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Les' Upstroke/Downstroke 4 finger technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Can anyone give me some tips/insight on exactly he sucessfully does this? I saw the "Too many puppies" video and he did it for a good portion of the song,I tried the exact same line and couldnt get the same tone he had,I know he uses distortion/effects but mine didn't even sound close,and it's mainly because of the technique.

Any help would be appreciated

2. :|

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's kinda hard to explain. It's just a matter of using all of your fingernails as a pick more or less. The downstroke is all fingernails, the upstroke is... well... it's kinda like you know when you give someone a highfive/handshake kinda deal and you snap at the end? You do that really quick, but agressive enough to get that sound.

Too many puppies is a great way to learn this technique, it's just a simple down up down, then agressive fingersyle for the lower part. It takes some time to get it up to speed.

Other than when he throws on that distortion at the end, he's fairly light on the effects... which is to say I don't know if he uses any. It's all about crunchy midrangey tone.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Do a search for "flamenco technique" I'm sure others have described the technique better than I.