1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Leslie...to use or not?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chicago_mike, Oct 18, 2009.

1. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    I have a Leslie top, a black tolex model that I dont know if it works. No amp for it yet but I do have this small metal box for it too.

Now its just the top (horn) and the small surrounding speakers in the box. I am thinking of fixing it up and either selling it or keeping her.

Bass thru a leslie does sound cool , but this thing weighs a frikkin ton.

I need some leslie experts to point me in the right direction to get more info on this unit and schematics and such.

TY:smug:

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you're thinking about selling the leslie top,make sure it's in good working condition. that's what I did when I was selling stuff on craig's list.

3. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i vote fix it up and use it..

are "real" leslies just regular cabinets..? i thought they had an internal amp as well? how would one go about plugging bass into one.. is it a regular 1/4" input? (instrument or speaker input?)

ive always wanted to do a recording with a blend of DI + miced leslie. i have access to a leslie, but dont know what im in for..

4. i some times use a leslie in said chain to my normal amps... it soudn awsome but you can burn or break some old speakers...

5. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Thanks for the input guys. I have decided to keep as she is beat, but as far as I and a few others know, she is working.

Its the old two part leslie and if I could find a bottom..that would be űber cool. As for the amp..it would just be a 50 watt amp with 2 6550's for power. I could get a non-working one thru friends at work I think for next to nothing.

yeah, the speakers I worry about..ill have to do research.

6. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    I say this as only an opinion or guess; I dont know for fact.

Leslies are made for organs mostly, so i assume it could handle bass. The left part of a Hamond, for example, is super deep and bassy. It would probly work.

7. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    JPJ used a lelsie for heartbreaker so its gotta work. =)

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I thought about using a Leslie, but I bought a phase shifter instead. Close enough.

9. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    I would only use it here and there....meaning my living room and my garage. =)

I would just like to have more info on this sucker.

If you see the dvd documentary of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon, youll see this thing behind David GIlmore for a few frames. Its a 2 part leslie that almost looks like some frankenstein traynor.

10. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I use an Option 5 Destination Rotation pedal, but would love to try out the real thing so I say go for it. It's like a lush subtle phaser at slow speeds and a tremolo at high speeds and being able to switch speeds as you play is great.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A Leslie isn't going to do a whole lot on low notes, though. It's got a woofer that doesn't move and only the horns rotate. Used to work with an organist who used two big Leslies and kicked bass pedals and you couldn't even tell it was a Leslie.