Less Claypool

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fadlan bassman, Aug 3, 2002.

1. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Anyone seen Less live ? I have heard mixed reviews about him. I want to see him with any of his projects but :( we don't get to much of that around these parts.
  2. I'd love to see him live but I'm afraid I havn't... seen some live video's though and he looks like a great performer :D
  3. I saw him live fith the Frog Brigade in June and they kicked ass
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Less Claypool??

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    There was about a zillion Claypool threads that someone here joined together; if you go digging through that, I'm sure you'll find some opinions.

The two Frog Brigade cds are live and I really dig 'em (I wonder if anyone will get that). They've also got a few live videos, including the Woodstock ones, and Suck On This is live.
  6. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Why is it you guys seem to get all the cool concerts like that?!!! we get some good oned like tool and no doubtand incubus , but rarely if ever primus and oysterhead,or victor wooten. we (from texas) should email les and beg him to come to texas.
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Les is amazing live, he rocks. I've Primus a bunch of times and I've never been let down.
  8. Ive neva seen him eva im so deprived (mind u this is england) the songs ive heard are amazing and he sings aswell that proves hes like wicked oh yeh hes on the bill and ted movie playin tommy the cat for about 6 seconds anyone seen that
  9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I saw Primus with Incubus and Buckethead opening. That was my second time seeing him. I still think him wearing a silver pithe helmet with a pig's snout mask was one of the coolest things I've ever seen! I think he opened with THE perfect song: "Welcome To This World"!
  10. btb

Jul 24, 2002
    I saw the frog brigade at El rey theater LA.
    Second set : The band goes through the whole
    "Animals" album by Pink floyd, excelent!

11. gribuski

Aug 7, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    i've seen the frog brigade 3 times, and saw him with buckethead, bernie worrell, and brain at bonnaroo (that was KILLER...they didnt have songs or anything. they just got up on stage and jammed out for almost two hours. buckethead is bizarre.)

the frog brigade i'm mixed about. it kind of seems that he (les) takes for granted that whatever he plays, we'll be interested in. most of the songs have this build-up/sudden kill into a les synth solo. but on the whole i like it. its a little different than primus (more like sausage and the holy mackerel), but its les, like it or not.

however, he's now got "herb" on drums again, and a percussionist. i guess the lineup is solidified, and theyre a lot better than before.

basically, catch a show, and decide for yourself.
  12. btb

Jul 24, 2002
    Anyone know if Tim is gonna join Primus again?

13. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    is that a joke? Less Claypool? ! i was laughing, maybe it wasnt your intent ;-) i always thought it was spelled Les, but less claypool is a funny way to say you would like less of him around =)

nope i havnt seen him life, but i have heard a bootleg of him with The Frog Brigade, and with Bucket of Bernie brains, and Oysterhead. its nothing like his work with Primus where HE IS the focus... there is LESS of Claypool..and more of him being a "normal" bassist.. not a showy guy.... thats why i think its funny.... there is LESS CLAYPOOL in his other projects it seems
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well if spelling errors are so funny...

15. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL

Fun both times!:D
  16. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I would definitely love to see/hear less Claypool.
  17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, then you and Carol K. have something in common after all! :D
  18. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    It is my wish, that before I die I shall see Primus.
  19. I've heard the stage show for oysterhead was insane, one song they killed all the lights, and trey and les put on like night vision goggles, so all you saw were 2 red beams coming from there eyes. I borrowed a bootleg video from my teacher, its right before sailing i think, and hes quite active on stage.
  20. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Also, she wrote all my basslines.