Less is More ... Or Hard in my case

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Sanctum, Jul 11, 2002.

1. So I'm in the process of auditioning for a band, a style that I'm not used to playing. For years I've played thrash/speed/death/technical metal, always with my fingers, so I'm used to playing pretty fast and in time and tight with that kind of music.

So like, I'm 35 now and looking to expand my horizons, and hell, maybe make a little cash playing instead of doing the metal gigs (no huge market here these days.) So this other band is very melodic/rock, kind of Radioheadish/Beatles-esque/etc. I've been jamming to their cd and I'm noticing it is HARD for me to NOT play a lot of notes. At first I was thinking "these songs will be easy to learn," and as far as chord progressions, etc. they are coming to me pretty fast, but the timing and pace is very new to me. I'm learning the essence of sustain and hearing what's NOT there instead of packing more in. Its a very interesting and eye opening exercise, and its been a good week for me practise-wise.

I've also had to tweak my gear to get a different sound, which has been fun. Just trying to get in that Zen zone of hearing the void and playing only whats needed. This band is pretty serious and professional, so I'll let you all know how the audition goes (around the end of the month I think.) It'll be cool to be in two bands again, very different bands.

2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

I'm usually in two bands...
    One was, what I call, Avant-Funk. Mostly originals & re-vamped covers. Anything went. The more "out", the "better". ;)

The other is a New Country parody band...in the beginning(10 years ago), I constantly got yelled at.
    Eventually, I looked at it as a challenge; could I play notes to their FULL value(a whole note = 4 counts, etc).
    I use this kinda gig as a lesson in discipline.
    Focus, focus, focus...

Good luck AND HAVE FUN!
  3. hey man good luck!
    never really noticed lack of notes a problem. but then again i probably havent been playing half as long as you (no effence there)
    but yea keep it real
  4. Thats what I mean ... I hear lots of people saying "How can I learn to play faster?" I started out in my younger days (as you so graciously reminded me :p ) playing as fast and hard as I could .... now I'm learning to back down. Its fun.

5. I too, got flack from band members for too much. I was just learning and it felt soooo good to move all over the fret board and fill in and over the top of, etc. We were doing original material and I was pleased with my bass lines for most of the songs. But eventually I started to listen to the advice and "let" up on some the lines in a couple of the songs, and whoa! It changed the foundation of the song. Now I like to start simple, see how it sounds, and then improvise/fill in as I go.:)
  6. hey man sorry *hands DiN a happy 16th birthday card*
    there you go!
    anyway slowly i am seeing what you mean. people on here TC etc always tell you to listen to primus etc which i do, but realising great players but in a normall band situation simple is best.
  7. I'm not sure I mean "simple vs difficult." I mean, many thrash metal riffs are fairly simple and repetitive, but just chock full of movement. Its just a matter of a new style of playing, and of hearing melodies. It can be more "difficult" to break old habits and learn a new way of playing, even if there are less notes to play.

8. Knowing when and how to apply space in music is an often ignored part of becoming a good musician.
  9. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    my bass teacher gave me some exercises last week: a couple of slap lines I'm used to play with the metronome @110, but playing @60.

You have no idea on how difficult is to lock with that damn thing:

click . . . clack . . . click . . . clack . . . :mad: :D