Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Less is more? When speaking of eq.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xyllion, Nov 25, 2003.

1. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Ok, so I just arranged the sale of the preamp from my practice rig and my new preamp is still enroute to me. So, I figure, I'll just suffer and use my DI as an interim preamp in my house. So, I take my passive bass and plug it into my LA Audio DI2 Mk3 and plug that in to my power amp. If you are not familiar with these DIs, they have no eq adjustment, they simply boost the signal.

So, I was expecting the worst. I figured that I could always play my other bass that has the J Retro preamp if this experiment didn't work. Besides, it is a short-term fix to keep me playing while waiting for my new preamp to arrive.

With everything plugged in, I turned on the amp and started playing. Wow! I can't believe it. This totally simple setup sounded really good. Its only flaw was volume. It is loud enough for me to play on my own, but there isn't enough signal boost to play with a drummer.

I won't abandon the new preamp when it arrives. I still plan on using it, but I have to admit that it makes me wonder if too much eq is bad for bass. Maybe all I really need is the tone knob on my bass and no other eq. It certainly is food for thought.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I play my Q5 with all bass EQ set in the detent. Nothing cut or boosted.

Whether I use a head or a preamp/power amp I set all of the EQ flat. I have played like this for years.

If I tweak at all I will move the PU pan a bit. I occasionally soften the treble a touch on the bass or boost it slightly when the strings are starting to die.

Other than that, never use EQ unless the cab I am using has a nasty gap in the FR or I am asked by the sound tech.

IME, exaggerating highs with an EQ makes them harsh and exaggerated lows makes them muddy. The extent of this is dependent upon the quality of the amp, but it seems to be there in most all of them.

If you have a bass with a good tone, it shouldn't take much to make it sound good.

I played a gig not too long ago with my Q5 plugged straight into a countryman 85 and just used stage monitors. I was perfecfly happy with the tone.