Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Less IS more!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by birminghambass, Nov 20, 2002.

1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Ok, about 3 months ago I purchased a used Yamaha rbx 5 string to backup my Musicman 5. Looks nice, good construction, great neck, but average tone and very noisy electronics. After mulling over the idea of replacing the stock preamp I decided to just gut it and wire the pickups straight to the output jack. Wow! The results were incredible! The sound really opened up. It now sounds more natural with strong highs, lows, and mids. I can't put it down! Anybody else tried this?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    One of the best things you can do to a passive J type bass is to leave out the tone pot.

3. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Hmmm... I might have to consider that on my passive Peavey and see what taking out the tone pot does ;)

4. or install a all controls bypass switch to remove tone and volume pots..pots will put a shunt of resistance to the signal and cut off some of the sound...thats why the sound opened up when you wired'em up direct...I thought about doin this to my Ric,especially after having the capasitor bypass surgery...imagine what a Ric would sound like with all controlls bypassed...wow!

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'm guessing that's why Gary Willis prefers such a simplistic approach to on-board electronics, eh?

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I am finding I am using passive mode on my Elrick more and more lately.. it completely by passes everything except volume and it just sounds killer.. of course I do like the active sid too :)

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Why's that?

8. Willis was actually the inspration for my having my Conklin built with nothing but a kill switch and a pickup selector for the passive Bartolini soapbars. it has the most wonderful tone of any bass I've owned!

from the low end,

Stew

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Unless of course you like to roll off the tone once in a while from the bass.... :)