Less Than Jakes bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Some of the lines he plays sound pretty hard, is he good? what kind of bass does he use?

2. He is pretty damn good, I saw them live, he's a pretty good guitarist too. His lines aren't that hard, he moves around a lot, but its a lot of the same lines over and over again. But they sound great too,

I think he used a Stingray, I tried out one and managed to get the exact tone he uses on Borders and Boundaries. On the earlier albums he used an ibanez and some other basses.
  3. lessthanpunk

May 6, 2002
    Roger is my personal hero, my favorite bassist. His lines are very fast, but not too complicated, for the most part, he plays 2nds, 3rds and 5ths and the root of the chord guitar is playing. Listen to "rock and roll pizzaria" for one of his best lines. He has played a stingray for a LONG time, actually, most the pictures i've seen have been stingrays, but that other dude may be right about the ibanez. And they are a really great live band, ive seen them 3 times. so anway, listen to less than jake.
  4. another thing we could say is that, according to the less than jake biography roger is not primarly a bass player he's more like a guitarist that plays bass
  5. Do you know what, I always thought that.

Yes, he is great, and his lines are classic crazy ska lines, where he just melts down the fret board. Best described as obscene. Yes, he uses a Stingray, last time I saw them it was an Olive Green one with an orange scratch plate. Eugghh!!

6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    that would be gross, but i'd still take it just cuz its a stingray

7. dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    a good album to hear roger kick some ass is losing streak, my personal favorite bassline of his is in the song happyman. roger takes the stereotypical ska approach to bass playing, but he does it with so much class and so much style. under the cd in the album losers kings and things we don't understand, he's playing what appears to be an ibanez, but in most pics i've seen as of late, he plays a stingray.

roger was one of my first idols when i got into bass playing. he continues to inspire me whenvere i listen to his works... although i must admit his bass work on borders and boundaries fails to compare to what i know the man can do.
  8. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002

When Less than Jake started Roger played guitar and didnt have any basses so he got some money togther and got a cheap bass probably around $300. So if you see him in a picture playing and ibanez its the cheap one he bought. He now plays Stingrays and sometimes P-basses(Fender).