lessards burp

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by quantum5, Dec 25, 2003.

1. i just got the new dave matthews band: live in central spark cd and was wondering how stefan lessard gets that ultra burpy midrange tone. I have a modulus quantum with emgs and a 4 band. If there is some effect that gives that burpiness then i want it so if someone could help me out thats be great
  2. You have to understand that Stephan has a huge amount of rack equipment. I think this list of his equipment is from maybe 1999 before he went to the SVTs but he still had that sound.
    DMB crew equipment

Modulus (Flea) 4 String
    Modulus (Flea) 5 String
    Modulus Sunburst 6 String
    Furman PL-8 Power Conditioner
    Coleman Audio Switcher
    Korg DTR-1 Digital Tuner
    (4) Shure U4D-UB Wireless Units
    (4) SWR Grand Prix Pro Bass Pre-Amps<-----
    Aphex 661 Expressor<--------------------
    Eventide GTR-4000 Ultra-Harmonizer<---------
    Meyer Sound CP-10 Parametric Equalizer
    Crest 7001 Power Amplifier
    Meyer MSL-2A Speaker Cabinets
    Meyer 650 Sub Speaker Cabinets

So make note of the kind of stuff hes playing through(amp and compressor wise). Research Aphex and Eventide and all the wild stuff they can do to sounds.
    I sure with the Aphex will help compress your sound to get that burpy middy stuff Lessard gets.
    But remember that this is all highfidelity stuff that probably costs as much as a mid priced car.

3. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Correct! And who can afford Meyers cabs ?
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    It could be his hands.
  5. Yep, one of the best ways to get a burpy midrange tone is to emphasize your bridge pickup and pluck back toward the bridge. I've gotten sounds like that out of Moduli and Zons before, so I bet you could get close enough with a Quantum.
  6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think the "burpy mids" could defintley be a characteristic of the graphite neck. I can get the same type of sounds with my Zon when I pan to the bridge pickup and do some creative eqing. Oddly enough, I have a harder time getting that same sound with my Q5 for whatever reason.
  7. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Ya , I loved to see them with you in (a picture) standing next to them:smug: