1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lesson I learned...

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Turned up last night for rehersal and out of 4 "resident" bassist, I happened to be (for the first time) the only one there - it is incredible just how much more concentration, watching and listening I had to do compared to the more "relaxed" approach of having others there alongside me. I guess I used to think "if I miss/ stuff up something, there will be others to cover for me" - but I have learned a valuable lesson last night. Don't use your fellow section players as a "crutch".

Thanks for reading!

DC Bass likes this.
  2. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    Yes, when you're the only one, you have to bring your best at all times. Best free lesson you've had, I'll bet. :)

DC Bass and Bisounourse like this.
  3. I'm the only bass in my ensemble, and it's a totally different animal. You have to be completely focused at all times, and dynamics all have to be dialed up a few notches. I love feeling like I'm contributing something vital, but I do miss having somebody to talk shop with during the breaks.

dhm and DC Bass like this.
  4. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    [QUOTE I love feeling like I'm contributing something vital, but I do miss having somebody to talk shop with during the breaks.[/QUOTE]

WHo DO DB players mix with, viola players?? :))

DC Bass likes this.
  5. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    I'd love to do more section playing. I've only done it once before.

Maybe I'll join a community orchestra in my golden years.

DC Bass likes this.
  6. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    The golden years can be the best years, Carl...

7. Harpists for talking large cars, percussionists for obsessing over placing a single note, and brass players for the best local brews.

8. We always got on well with the trombones and violas, those sitting near us. We appreciated their contributions to the sound mix and they appreciated ours. Sitting next to a tuba player is no fun though!!

DP

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015