1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lesson learned- Mackie content

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by wmhill, Dec 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    In June of 2016, I saw a B-stock Mackie ProFX12v2 from Mackie Direct (Mackie's E-bay store) at a pretty good price, $190 W/free shipping. I thought that would make a nice backup or small gig mixer. I hit the buy it now button and when it got here, I peaked in the box, but never even took it out of the plastic bag. Fast forward to yesterday. I have some "unplugged" gigs coming up and decided to take it for a test drive. DOA. The power light and FX display light up, but that's it. No level lights, no sound, nothing. And yes I tried different cables, powered speakers, mics, channels and even the aux out- it is dead. I called Mackie, and the 90 day warranty is long gone. The part (PCB) that the fellow on the phone figures it needs is $220, if I want to change it myself..... nope. It's my fault, I know mackie's reputation for reliability, as we have a bunch of it, and had plenty of failures, yet I was lured by a bang for the buck deal. I should have taken it for a test run as soon as I got it. I really believe it went in the box faulty, A) it was b stock, so it already didn't make the cut the first time, and B) the shipping box was in perfect shape, and it was well packaged, so I don't feel it happened in shipping. Could it have? Sure, but seems unlikely. The fact that the warranty was only 90 days should have been a red flag too. So I guess the moral of the story is plug it in when it lands, or be prepared to trash can a brand new piece of gear.

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Most vendors now try to "dump" refurbs, B-stock and returns via their evil bay outlets. When you pay $500 for an $850 item with a 90-day warranty.. who knows?
    I've bought a few items like that and have never had a problem with them. Might depend on the company, but no vendor solicits negative feedback on themselves. NOT good for biz!!
    You may simply have got the 4pm Friday unit..
    Either way.. bummer.. sorry to hear. :(
    VERY annoying at best..

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

sorry to hear: i hate when that happens!

well, you said it: "lesson learned." of course you should have tested it. but you didn't. you were probably into another project which was more important at the time. at least that's how it works when it happens to me! we live, we gamble, we learn. ;)

i have that little mixer for exactly the same reason: it's probably one of better "compact" mixers. it makes the connections/routing you need within the limits of its size. it's definitely worth what you paid for yours. whoops, sorry! :thumbsup: