Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lesson learned through compliment.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This past saturday, we played with a band called Caddle in Birmingham. If you ever get a chance to see Caddle, go! Amazing band, and fun guys to boot! Anyhoo, this woman who seemed to be about 50ish, came up to me and said, "Hey, I'm up here from Ft. Lauderdale, I own a club there, and I've seen many a bass player, and you're one of the best ones I've ever seen."
    me: "Wow, thanks! Wait a minute, you're from Fla., and I'm one of the best you're ever seen?! "
    her: "Yep!"
    me: "You know how many legendary bassist came out of Florida?"
    her: "Felix still comes in from time to time and sit in on gigs. I knew his dad. I know Fla's bass history, and I still say you're one of the best ones I've seen. You did stuff tonight on those 4 strings that other bass players needed 6 strings to do"
    me: "Thanks, but I don't think that I'm in the zip code as those Florida legends."
    her: "Here's how I see it: I can tell that alot of the songs you played tonight were written on guitar. Am I right?"
    me: "Yeah."
    her: "I know bassists that can play circles around just about anybody out here, but I doubt if they could have given those songs you played tonight the same pop, or life that you did. I heard you do some of your tricks during line check, and I was a little impressed, but once you guys started playing your set, your playing blew those tricks you did earlier out of the water. BTW, your drummer is also an amazing musician."
    me: "Point taken. I REALLY appreciate that."

Just goes to show you, in music, as is in life, the elders know best!

2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Very cool 'Chuck, kinda makes it all worth it sometimes. Huh?

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    fantastic. that's so much better than the usual drunken "you guys are hic' awesome dude". also makes you appreciate being able to play BASS. That made me remember, one shop i go to the guy occasionally says to me that he always gets a kick out of it when i come in to try out stuff because i play fingerstyle and play like i normally would at a gig, rather than 90% of the players who coem in and "test out" a bass or an amp with all kinds of tricks that they wouldn't use on most (or any) or their gigs. :p

4. Isabigload

Isabigload

Nov 28, 2004
    right

5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Please post when you are coming back to Alabama. I would like to see y'all .

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    We'll be in Huntsville on Thursday.

7. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    If didn't know any better I'd say that that sounded like some pretty intelligent pick-up lines :D

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    That has to be the best compliemnt ever!

9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    See if you can get booked into Montgomery or Auburn!

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The only compliment I ever got that I appreciated from a sober person was, "I hear you over there with all those fills, they sound great, they add a lot to the music, you're like a punk rock John Entwistle."

Being compared to such a legend was nice, but untrue. It was from a guy who was in the band biz for a long time, and he was a drummer so he knows bassists.

Also, some girl called me better than Les Claypool, biggest load of B.S. ever, but I appreciated it. Totally based on nothing though.

Most compliments are from drunk people though, it's very cool that you got a compliment from someone who knows chops over grooves = cool. Your band sounds like they'd be a hoot to see live.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    We play Off The Wagon from time to time.

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah woodchuck, i think ya missed the boat. on closer inspection it sounds like she might have been trying to live out some fantasy with you AND the drummer. Now i kniow what you mean by "a crowd pleasing' man". man, i wish i had your mojo. :p

13. LittleJaco

LittleJaco

Nov 4, 2004
    congrats :hyper:

14. What is your band called I was at that show but I may have missed your band.