Lessons: Hour or half-hour? and rates?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by alexssandro, Aug 22, 2001.

1. For the people who take lessons, I was wondering about the duration of your lessons and what you think. When I used to live in England, I took lessons by the hour. Hour-long lessons were just the standard, at least with the guys I studied with. But after I moved back to the States, I noticed that many instructors teach by the half-hour. For me, half-an-hour just isn't enough time for a quality lesson. By the time you sit down and tune up, you lose five minutes and during the last five minutes of your lesson you end up looking at your watch and getting ready to pack up. That leaves 20 minutes of real lesson time, which isn't really enough to get your mind to that absorbing state, plus you can't really ask many questions. (Of course, you can always remedy that by getting two lessons back-to-back. ;))

Also, how much do you guys spend on your lessons?
  2. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    I asked for hour lessons but every other week due to other commitments. When I was looking around for instuctors most seemed accomodating to the duration. But your right most seem to want to start with 1/2 hour lessons. I don't know why? Attention span maybe.

Anyway I take 2 - 1 hour lessons a month and it costs 78 dollars.
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Many instructors have turned to a half an hour, which I don't like at all. My teacher gives one hour lessons at $35 an hour, which is extremely cheap in SF. I've found instructors that are $50 to $75 an hour. My first teacher was $12 for an hour, and that wasn't all that long ago. :eek:
  4. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I had $40 a month but I was the only person that took bass lessons from the people I took lessons from, so the lessons went over the half hour thing because the teacher saw something in the book that he wanted to jam on.

I wish I could find another teacher. I know 2 other bassist that dont give lessons but do you think if I asked they would?
  5. LimpChunk9

May 8, 2001
    Bronx, NY
    The closet place to me charges $22 per half hour.

I'm self taught.
  6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I charge $28 an hour for private lessons and have a waiting list. But remember, that's here in Kentucky, where 2 years ago my wife and I bought a 3 story, 108 year old, 3200 sq. foot brick house with 2 1/2 car garage (which, like the house, is heated and air conditioned) for a sum it would be distasteful to disclose. BUT, I can say that the folks who assess property for tax purposes valued the house at only $110,000 (probably because it sits in a neighborhood that is racially diverse), which suits me fine, since I'm the one paying taxes on the assessed value.

I only mention the house thing for perspective....I doubt that you could buy a TENT in San Francisco for $110,000. ;)
  7. I take hour lesson the guy i take lessons from charges $17.50 fir 1/2 hour and $30 for 1 hour. 1/2 hour isn't long enought for me + in that hour lesson we do theory trumpet and bass.
  8. nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    i take hour lessons from a teacher in sunnyvale, CA. he charges $35 for the hour and $20 for the 1/2 hour. (pretty cheap for the SF bay area )
  9. i live in the north of england, and i'm getting taught by an excellent jazz bassist for about £13 and hour less than $20, and to make it better, every so oftenh i'm taught by a guy who's studying jazz at uni, who does tv and stuff.

the best thing about lessons is the networking getting to know people, just visit your tutor for a chat, mines helping me finalise the 6 fretless i8'm gonna build
  10. Slightly off thread but I take my 6 year-old son to drum lessons @ a shop who sells only drums / drum kits etc. The guy charges £8 per half hour or £14 per hour. We have a half hour every 2 weeks, currently.

The debate reges long and hard between us as to why he'd want to be a drummer when he could play bass. But as he points out, he's 6 and I'm coming on 50!!!!! If there's anyone out there who can figuer that, I wanna know.:D

11. fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I started out taking lessons from a guy at a guitar store, $14 for a half-hour. After a month of not learning anything at all, I started looking around for an in-home private teacher. I found a guy that teaches for $20 an hour. I live in Indianapolis.

IMHO, there is no way you can accomplish anything worthwhile in a 30 minutes lesson. Once you get started and into it, its almost time to finish. A one hour lesson is the way to go.

12. I agree, Fisk, but it depends on the age of the student and his/her standard of playing, I think.

After talking to the drum people at some length we decided on a half hour to begin with. ££ is part of the difficulty but I wanted so see how he adapted to drumming and, thus, whether or not it was worth further investment.

My lad's right at the start of his drumming 'career' having had only 3 lessons so far. The teacher went right in with written music and playing, and I can honestly say that after just 30 minutes the boy had had enough.

Young kids seem to have a short attention span, too. Certainly if he continues then we'll move to 60 minutes.

I'm sure that for older kids and certainly adults then, as you say, an hour is the minimum.

13. i pay $14 per half hour (private, in home) but since im the last student of the day, i usually go to about 40 or 45 minutes.
  14. fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hey John, you are absolutely right about that. I was speaking for myself. I'm 36 and still in my first year of playing. I want to get better NOW. I'd take lessons two hours a week if I could talk my wife into shelling out the bucks for it.

I'm glad to hear your getting your son started with lessons this early. My son is almost eight and I just took him to Mars last week and sat him down in front of a big drum set to see if was interested at all. After looking at the price and noise level of a drum set, my wife gave me the EVEL LOOK OF DEATH that I know so well... :D I'm still working on it though.

15. You clearly are a well-off guy. My missus gives me the EVIL LOOK OF DEATH at every conceivable opportunity, not just when perusing drum kits.

Over here we've pretty good kits @ £250 / £270. Matthew's decided he's having one! He's saved up really hard, done jobs for grandfather etc. About £100 to go: guess who'll be putting up the balance?

He's a pretty good player considering. He comes to rehersals and will play a couple of songs with the band. In terms of providing a correct, basic beat with basic fills there's really no difference between him and our drummer, other than perhaps volume. My son's 6, by the way!

16. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I take private lessons at a music store weekly: 1 half hour for $15. Can't accomplish much in a half hour it seems, but that's what the teacher gives for everyone. I am thankful to him for even giving lessons cuz he has an extremely busy schedule. And he has even offered to give me hour lessons. (Sometimes my lessons has run well over the half hour mark. LOL) I can't quite afford $30 a week right now, but it's in my thoughts. :)
  17. I pay 50 Dollars per hour for lessons. Every other week.
  18. In half-an-hour, your teacher should cover enough material for you to take home and keep you busy (and learning) 'til the next lesson. (Well, that's how I do it anyways.) $30Canadian/30mins. Slightly higher for higher levels.
  19. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    30 minute lesson each week, and it's $56 monthly
  20. liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I take lessons in San Antonio at the century music for 50 dollars a month, half hour lessons once a week. So about $12.50 a half hour lesson.